Fedex arrived, delivered my UM1's!
Feb 3, 2006 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chickennuggets

100+ Head-Fier
so far so good. i dont have any bass heavy stuff to tell if im getting a good seal but it feels like i am. better than the iBuds, thats for sure. got any fit tips, advice? lets hear it! thanks

Feb 3, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 12
Do the 3 to 2 flange mod that we all wind up doing with the tri-flanges they sent you. Snip off either the smallest flange and a little of the stem or the stem and part of the largest flange. The idea is to make the whole thing shorter. Its too long and the flange will bend in and close in your ear and kill the sound. Shorten it up a bit and you'll get a good seal. Lost of people use the flanges exclusively. You can also snip the very tips off the comply tips. Just enough to make them almost flat at the end. It didn't do a whole lot for me, maybe added a touch to the high end. Just barely.

I don't really think that tips make a world of difference like some people say. They do make a small and somwhat noticeable difference. But its not huge. Though I haven't had any custom molds make yet. I understand that is a big difference.

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 12
to, the last thing these need is high end. its there, it sounds good. these things definitely sound good. im getting a good fit and good sound from the shorter comply tips. im trying the larger onese now but im not really into these. cant wait to give them some real world use in an hour or so. with these on i cant hear a thing, no footsteps, breathing, nothing. and there are absolutely no microphonics! i couldnt be more pleased with my purchase.

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 12
I am like a lot of people finding Westone IEM very dark sounding when using the stock comply tips. It is all changed when I start using Shure tri-flange, and the bass is a lot tighter. If you had a chance, give tri-flange or bi-flange a try. To me, those isolates even more than the comply tip.

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickennuggets
to, the last thing these need is high end. its there, it sounds good. these things definitely sound good. im getting a good fit and good sound from the shorter comply tips. im trying the larger onese now but im not really into these. cant wait to give them some real world use in an hour or so. with these on i cant hear a thing, no footsteps, breathing, nothing. and there are absolutely no microphonics! i couldnt be more pleased with my purchase.

Fill us in when you run them through their paces.... I'm interested in them too.... Thanks

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 12
I find that I hear distortion in the UM1s if I crank up the bass in my source. This is true both via Dell DJ EQ setting and via my 1980's Kenwood amp headphone output. Do I have a bad pair?

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 12
i think they sound fine. maybe a little distortion if i tunr up the volume on my 5g ipod pretty high. but im liking them. as for the triflange, they stick outta my ears too much for my liking, perhaps i will cut off the top flange and a little of the stem. im more than satisfied with them, only thing now is to buy the um2's

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 12
Try mp3gaining your files down to say 89db, so the EQ has more headroom to work with.

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 12
theres a little distorton when i turn it up pretty loud, with the rock eq. ive never used the eq on my ipod and to be honest, these things are pretty loud, i dont go high enough to distort them. the um2's must succomb to no distortion, being dual driver and all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back