Feb 10 - iPhone comes to Verizon
Jan 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 42
I agree I am seriously on this bandwagon can't wait to get it...! I guarantee the AT&T people are jumping for joy because their call reception just got better, and the Verizon who always wanted a Apple product couldn't be more happy. I swear I hate AT&T. This is good, really really really good.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 42
And from what I read, the actual hardware is much better. They moved the antenna so there shouldn't be anymore "death grip" on the verizon iphone.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 42

Quote:
Verizon iPhone has one distinct advantage that the AT&T version does not have: it can be used as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to 5 computers.

The drawback to that will be there is an extra cost to your monthly bill, as of right now it's $20 for 2GB of data. This is one reason why I love my rooted Droid, allowing free hotspots. We'll have to wait for someone to unlock the new iPhone to see if they will add free hotspot. 

I wonder though, since the currently iPhone is based on CDMA, will people miss the ability to talk and surf the web at the same time? I kind of miss that ability when I had AT&T. But if you have WiFi coverage it shouldn't be an issue. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe once the next version of the iPhone comes out it should be on 4G LTE which should allow both at the same time. I guess we'll have to wait and find out. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 42
I could have sworn I read somewhere Verizon bridged this gap by allowing CDMA to go from GSM to CDMA or something...dunno where I read that I think it was C-net. I'll have to take a look at the Verizon page.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 42

Quote:
Quote:
Verizon iPhone has one distinct advantage that the AT&T version does not have: it can be used as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to 5 computers.

The drawback to that will be there is an extra cost to your monthly bill, as of right now it's $20 for 2GB of data. This is one reason why I love my rooted Droid, allowing free hotspots. We'll have to wait for someone to unlock the new iPhone to see if they will add free hotspot. 

I wonder though, since the currently iPhone is based on CDMA, will people miss the ability to talk and surf the web at the same time? I kind of miss that ability when I had AT&T. But if you have WiFi coverage it shouldn't be an issue. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe once the next version of the iPhone comes out it should be on 4G LTE which should allow both at the same time. I guess we'll have to wait and find out. 

But Verizon charges $29.99 a month (on top of your regular phone plan) for unlimited web and e-mail for any of their phones.  I can't imagine they will charge a premium because you are accessing it on an iPhone.  That would be absurd.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 42
I recall a few months ago, there was an additional charge for using your phone as a hotspot, even if you are paying for the $30 unlimited data plan. It's been a while since I checked, but I wouldn't doubt it's still there.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 42
^ Agreed making money off of every little thing unnecessary or not is profitable. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

But Verizon charges $29.99 a month (on top of your regular phone plan) for unlimited web and e-mail for any of their phones.  I can't imagine they will charge a premium because you are accessing it on an iPhone.  That would be absurd.

I just checked my account. I have the unlimited data plan, but if I wanted to add hotspot on my account it would be another $20 for 2GB. They gotta make their money somehow I guess..  
confused.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 42
Agreed and for the reception gain I wouldn't complain. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 42
Good! Now Dad can move to Verizon, and since I'm on his plan I can as well.

AT&T is absolutely terrible. Their service quality is trash. It's common for other AT&T'ers and I to have zero signal while those with Verizon have 3G. In fact, most buildings and even some outdoor areas on campus have no service at all. This is central campus of a school of 30k. 

Does this make sense? Yes, it's AT&T.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 42
^ I agree, their always both side of the story and I've heard people have good reception well over here that's mute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back