features i DON'T use on the Zune 80 and some gripes
Dec 4, 2007 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sanity8me

500+ Head-Fier
just recently got a zune 80 and 3 days later i realized that i don't need two of its key features:

-wifi: it seems to just waste my battery and doesn't work all that well every time i tried

-touch: this may come as a shock to most but i just recently realized that the "touch" feature isn't for me.. it's more sensitive then your gf during pms... there have been already numerous times where the artist or song i wanted to click on ended up being an artist or song in the near proximity of what was desired. [maybe i just need to get used to using it?]

does anybody else not use these or other features of the new zunes?

here are some other gripes i have:
-not too fond with the fact that i have to click twice to play a song (once for the song and then the second time for "play")...that's just dumb if you ask me
-should have an EQ (but if this is the reason the signal is so clean than it may just be a fair trade off)
-should have an option that would allow me to use the player in horizontal position (not just for videos)
-should have more customizing features
-should have more options in general
-should be able to be used as an external HD (but i know there are hacks)

now here is the reason why it's currently my favorite player:
-C L E A N hiss-free signal (i'm really not sure if i need to get a dock anymore for the line-out... it sounds great in my car with just the headphone out)
-paired with my westone ES2's, the SQ is phenomenal (haven't tested the iMod or the Kenwood HD* players, but this blows away every other player out there with ease in terms of SQ)
-build quality is pretty damn good
-screen is HUGE
-resolution
-size

the only reason i could imagine for getting rid of this player is if Sony finally comes out with a new 60-80gb player and has a signal as hiss-free as the new zune's........and this is never going to happen.

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 12
I've been debating on getting one or not. Mainly I like that pretty much everyone agrees it has good sound quality (even if some people don't necessarily agree that its not the type of sound they want). I like the screen, but I would need better battery life (10 hours minimum) before it really mattered too much to me. Wi-fi doesn't matter at all to me, although it is nice (and hopefully will get improved upon). I personally prefer the looks of the Zune 30. Not sure how I feel about the new touchpad since I haven't used it.

The dealbreaker so far for me is the Zune software. I just installed it a few days ago and I hate it. The interface is nice, but there's just something about it that I don't like. I also don't care for the marketplace (am I just stupid or do they not tell you the artist or any info about individual tracks when looking at say albums with more than one artist?). I'm not going to say iTunes is better, but Microsoft still needs to tweak things a lot. I really wish both Microsoft and Apple would allow you to open multiple tabs when browsing their stores.

In a way I'm thinking of just getting it and then trading it for an iPod Classic or some other setup (namely a older DAP and amp combo or a iBasso D1, or possibly just a nice amp).

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

-not too fond with the fact that i have to click twice to play a song (once for the song and then the second time for "play")...that's just dumb if you ask me

myth. Highglight the songs and press "Play". Works in songs, albums, artist and playlist.

Quote:

-wifi: it seems to just waste my battery and doesn't work all that well every time i tried

-touch: this may come as a shock to most but i just recently realized that the "touch" feature isn't for me.. it's more sensitive then your gf during pms... there have been already numerous times where the artist or song i wanted to click on ended up being an artist or song in the near proximity of what was desired. [maybe i just need to get used to using it?]

You can turn off both features. Turn off WiFi on the Settings menu and you can disable the touch feature on the ZunePad.

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 12
So you don't like the touch sensitive pad but you DO like the lower-than-it-should-be resolution?

I have no issues at all with my Zune pad, it's the most precise touch related feature on an MP3 player I've used. Much better than the Zen Vision:M.

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been debating on getting one or not. Mainly I like that pretty much everyone agrees it has good sound quality (even if some people don't necessarily agree that its not the type of sound they want). I like the screen, but I would need better battery life (10 hours minimum) before it really mattered too much to me. Wi-fi doesn't matter at all to me, although it is nice (and hopefully will get improved upon). I personally prefer the looks of the Zune 30. Not sure how I feel about the new touchpad since I haven't used it.

The dealbreaker so far for me is the Zune software. I just installed it a few days ago and I hate it. The interface is nice, but there's just something about it that I don't like. I also don't care for the marketplace (am I just stupid or do they not tell you the artist or any info about individual tracks when looking at say albums with more than one artist?). I'm not going to say iTunes is better, but Microsoft still needs to tweak things a lot. I really wish both Microsoft and Apple would allow you to open multiple tabs when browsing their stores.

In a way I'm thinking of just getting it and then trading it for an iPod Classic or some other setup (namely a older DAP and amp combo or a iBasso D1, or possibly just a nice amp).

yeah man like i said, even with all it's flaws, i still consider it to be the best mp3 player currently available and i don't think you'd want to trade it for an iPod Classic.

believe it or not the only player i was debating on getting over it was an old 30gb Sony HD5H.. it's SQ is fantastic even if it does hiss a bit, but i just needed more space then that and wanted to finally be able to watch a couple vids on my player.

the software is actually really not that bad since it's not a resource hog, never lags, quick, and pretty intuitive.. but maybe i'm just saying that cause i'm coming from using sonicstage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins
myth. Highglight the songs and press "Play". Works in songs, albums, artist and playlist.

duhhhh, thanks.

Quote:

You can turn off both features. Turn off WiFi on the Settings menu and you can disable the touch feature on the ZunePad.

LOL, your first reply was helpful, but this is just insulting. by saying that i "don't use the features" i meant that i actually "turn them off"...maybe i should have mentioned that.[/QUOTE]

Quote:

So you don't like the touch sensitive pad but you DO like the lower-than-it-should-be resolution?

I have no issues at all with my Zune pad, it's the most precise touch related feature on an MP3 player I've used. Much better than the Zen Vision:M.

yeah i'm just having trouble getting used to it.. maybe i need to play around with it some more.

well i'd prefer it to have iPod Touch's resolution of 480 x 320, but video playback isn't a top priority to me.. 320 x 240 is more then enough for me.

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

yeah i'm just having trouble getting used to it.. maybe i need to play around with it some more.

well i'd prefer it to have iPod Touch's resolution of 480 x 320, but video playback isn't a top priority to me.. 320 x 240 is more then enough for me.

You mis-quoted me
frown.gif

wink.gif

I notice the low res from time to time because I'm used to my PDA's screen, but the Zunes screen represents colors better I think so it's a tradeoff. Either way the videos don't look like garbage and I'm happy with it.

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 12
@sanity8me
I didn't insult you. sorry but what I did wrong ?

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@sanity8me
I didn't insult you. sorry but what I did wrong ?

i was being sarcastic dude.. you didn't insult me at all.. it was just that it would be pretty sad if i didn't know how to turn off those features.. anyhow, thanks for the help in case i didn't know how to

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dealbreaker so far for me is the Zune software. I just installed it a few days ago and I hate it. The interface is nice, but there's just something about it that I don't like.

it's one of the least feature-filled music player/management apps available. anyone who manages a large collection on their PC/music server would immediately be turned off enough not to consider purchasing a Zune.

apparently, not everyone is concerned with this though. on numerous Zune threads, there are 2 or 3 people who complain about it, but the SW has never become a 'topic' in and of itself.

while i could again state the many things i don't like about it, perhaps MSFT did make the correct decisions when designing it (at least from a marketing standpoint).
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
16.7 million color screen vs 64k color screen, big difference?

Save for the .2" gain in size, the screen on the Z80 is exactly the same as on the Z30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back