FCC Part 15B - Required by law?
Mar 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

redfly

New Head-Fier
Recently I had the experience of working on an audio project where we were required to obtain an FCC Part 15B proof of conformity.  As I researched this, I discovered that the ALL digital devices that have clocks – DACs, CD Players, Transports et al. are required to have the conformance.

I decided to contact some high end audio companies to enquire about their testing experiences and surprise!, there are very few high end audio companies that get their units tested or have the FCC Part 15B proof of conformity as required by US law.
This is startling to me, because the risk of lack of conformance is so great.  For example, the FCC could require forfeiture at customs or distribution points.  The fines are also steep, up to 70K per violation depending upon the size of the company and its sales channels.  Retailers are also not immune as they can be fined for carrying non-conforming devices.

The FCC would require high end audio companies and retailers to stop selling these products immediately less they incur additional fines for each day that the non-conforming products are marketed.

Am I off base here or is there some way that the high end audio companies are getting around this law?  I certainly do not want to do this if I do not have to.   Does anybody know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back