Favourites metal phones?
Mar 31, 2012 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

marts30

500+ Head-Fier
For me it's the Alessandro MS2i.

Sold: MS Pro, Shure 940, AD2000, DT880, Magnum v4

I found the MS2 still did metal music better than those (for me). Is there any point in even trying to go higher? Thinking of HE-500 or Shure 1840 at the moment, quite liked the SRH940. Am I wasting my time/money?

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 9
I think upgrades are worth it and mostly listen to metal

I like my modded T50RPs for pretty much everything, metal included.  My current configuration probably doesn't have as much treble as you're looking for but its not too hard to tune them to taste.  I mostly stick to them because I need the isolation and I haven't hear a better closed headphone yet though there are mega-bucks models which I've yet to hear and couldn't afford anyway but there are plenty of options if you can go open.

The HE-5 or HE5-LE might be worth considering.  I liked the LE and if what I've read about the HE500 is correct you might like slightly sharper more aggressive 5LE.  I've read the 5 is a little more aggressive than the LE but I've only heard the LE.  Maybe even the HE-6 if you get a monster vintage receiver to power it or something.

Here's a tidbit about the 1840.

You might even want to consider some Stax Lambdas.  Its a somewhat unconventional choice but they're bright without being fatiguing, super fast, and have great bass extension.  There are lots of different versions and they all have pretty much the same frequency response but do sound different because of other differences.  I really like the original SR-Lambda normal bias because of its luscious midrange.  I've heard other models of Lambda but but because they all look so similar I don't remember which one is which anymore.

Some electrostatic fans say that the Koss ESP950 is better for metal than the Lambda but I've never heard it.  Its only about $600, amp included, from amazon and has the Koss lifetime warranty too.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
For me it's the Alessandro MS2i.

Sold: MS Pro, Shure 940, AD2000, DT880, Magnum v4

I found the MS2 still did metal music better than those (for me). Is there any point in even trying to go higher? Thinking of HE-500 or Shure 1840 at the moment, quite liked the SRH940. Am I wasting my time/money?

HE-500 is a bit docile for metal, I just got a pair, they're a little more on the neutral side but they're definitely fast headphones. I think the HE-5LE are probably better because I like their treble signature and the way they present kick drums with a snap instead of a thud. Even though they're the same technology, that treble presentation just exudes speed to me haha. But yeah HE-500 is more amp-friendly. For the money you save going HE-5LE on the used market, you can pick up an Asgard tho.

Sad to see you dropped the Magnum V4, those are probably the best ones in the group, unless you had a wonkier build or something and didn't like how it sounded

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 9
Always heard a lot about Ultrasones when it came to metal.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm really blown away by my O2s with metal, I was absolutely not expecting them to be this good. Their speed of attack and realistic presentation are almost like getting hit in the face with a bucket of ice water. My modded T50RPs and HE-6s aren't slouches either, both do a great job, as do the Q701s if you want dynamic.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Between all of the headphones I've tried, Ultrasones have been my favorite for metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back