My order of preference for War:

War LP Original Japanese pressing
War LP Original Domestic pressing
War CD Original Japanese pressing
War CD MFSL
War LP 180g Remaster
War CD Remaster
War CD Original Domestic

I'm unipressed with the domestic press (pancake vinyl)... I guess I should source a Japanese..

Which 180g?

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/83228

or

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/79095

NK

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #50 of 87
If you are unimpressed with the domestic LP origonal then the Japanese is about the best you can do. Although the War MFSL is quite nice, it tries some audiophile techniques but ultimately doesn't sound as dynamic as the LP's I listed above it, though it sounds more resolving/detailed.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #51 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeepers. You sir, are a U2 fan.

I only go this nuts for U2 and Radiohead. It takes so much energy and money that I can't be bothered for any other bands.

My rule of thumb for buying music:

Jazz = look for Hoffman/Gray remaster, if none then go for original LP pressing

Classical = research best performer, then look for LP, if none, go for SACD hybrid if available

Indie Rock = go for LP in all cases if possible

Rock = hunt down Japanese pressings if different from domestic US and Canadian pressings. Usually they are at least one tier above what we get plus they get bonus tracks. If LP Japanese pressings exist get those first.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #53 of 87
I'd wish there was a vote for none. Maybe a decade ago I was a fan, but more I listen to U2 compared to my other music, less impressed and enthusiastic about them. Definitely despise all their new material. Only have Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum now, got rid of the rest.

If I had to vote, Achtung Baby.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #55 of 87
Joshua Tree! It was first U2 album that I bought!

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #56 of 87
Just got my tickets for me and my brother for the opening date in Barcelona next 30th June!
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #57 of 87
Very definitely The Joshua Tree (and this takes into account that I have now heard No Line on the Horizon.) Unforgettable Fire was a close second.
Achtung Baby and Zooropa both totally sucked (in fact, I though that releasing those might end their career. Glad it didn't.)

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #58 of 87
annoying band, with terrible music

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #60 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenzsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
annoying band, with terrible music

Hi Welcome to Head-fi, thanks for being a Troll. Oh, btw, Trolling is against the rules. That's a warning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back