Favourite SNES music?
Jan 27, 2002 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tktran

100+ Head-Fier
I'm absolutely in love with some of the old SNES tracks.

64KB limit - amazing.

My favourite has to be Donkey Kong Country's

Coral Capers.spc
Oil Drum Alley.spc
Hidden Track.spc (from a hidden level)

Get the entire soundtrack here:

http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/dkc1.rar

You'll need an .spc player. There's a couple of plugins available at winamp.com (or just do a google search)

Jan 27, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 19
FF IV & VI, and the music on the Big Blue stage of F-Zero.

Jan 27, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 19
Chronotrigger is nice as well. Check out Super Castlevania 4 and Super Ghouls n Ghosts. I have tons, and i mean, TONS of midi's from Zophar and other sites that were still around a few years back. DKC is a great sdtk too, thats why i got my hands on the cd! Oh yea, Shadowrun for snes was amazing...loved the music in this game! Wish i could find it though!
frown.gif

George

Jan 27, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 19
Secret of Mana. The theme song sends a chill down my spine. I also like some of the other music because it has an entirely different sound from most game music. I have an orchestration of it which is even nicer!

FF6 - The best game music ever, bar none. Everything is incredible in it. The opera scene was unforgettable, and the returners hideout before you go on the raft ride is awesome, just to name a couple
smily_headphones1.gif

Donkey Kong COuntry also had an excellent soundtrack, I will download those tonight
smily_headphones1.gif
. I can hear the music now.

Lemmings - Tchaikovsky! The Police! All while playing a fun game
smily_headphones1.gif

New Horizons - I don't know why, but I like it. Probably because I have played that game more then any other for the SNES (I have finished all the people's quests).

FF4 is also great, FF5 is pretty good, other Square games aren't bad, and I am sure there are plenty I can't think of right now.

Jan 27, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 19
Secret of Mana is good, i have the cd of that one as well.

Y's 3: Wanderers from Y's has some kick butt tunes for snes. The PC Engine version (cdrom) is wonderful...i happened to buy the game for the redbook audio off of ebay (basically the full soundtrack is in here).

FF6 probably took the snes to its audio limits, imho. Chronotrigger has to be in the top 3 though, it's simply amazing stuff.

I remember reading about FFV music, being that it was a sort of transisition for Nobuo. I happened to like it quite a bit.

Ahhh, bring back the days of 8 channel stereo DSP baby
cool.gif

George

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 19
Everyone is singing praises for the Final Fantasy series. I agree the music is great, but are the games only available in Japanese?

I only have FF2 and FF3 in English.

confused.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 19
I think I understand what you're asking...

FF 2 (english version) == FF 4 (japanese version)
FF 3 (english version) == FF 6 (japanese version)

The english versions are slightly less complex. I dunno, everybody I asked said the japanese versions were so much harder. But I tried them, and they didn't seem any more difficult to me. The plot is basically the same, at any rate.

Jan 28, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 19
Yea, i also got to play FF5 a few years back when it was released. A friend of mine had some floppy drive/copying attachment that copied snes games to floppy diskettes. One game he had? FF5! Of course i went there everyday to play it for hours on end, even though it was in Japanese, at one point though, i got stuck and couldn't figure out what to do so i gave up. Its a shame this one wasn't released here in the states originally. It's a great game and with the job system its a heck of a lot of fun.
biggrin.gif

George

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 19
IIRC, FF5 was released with FF6 for the PSX. I have the FF4/Chrono Trigger disc, and I found the PSX version a lot harder then the original. You actually have to worry about regular enemy encounters because you can get wiped out so fast. I also tend to not really care about leveling and am usually ~5 levels underleveled to boot
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 19
Ohhh, i tend to be the leveling up type of guy, nothing better than going maxed out against the last boss, especially in FF1 where leveling up meant more chances to use spells.

As for the psx versions, i wondered how they fared, i always thought FF2-snes was a little too easy (until the last stage). However i think this is what made the game that more enjoyable. Back on topic:

I thought Thunderforce 3 had some kick ass tunes as well!

George

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 19
I loved levelling-up as well. But I'm afraid I did it more to see how many different spells I could cast on poor little imps and still have them live... then I nuked the crap out of 'em!
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
I loved levelling-up as well. But I'm afraid I did it more to see how many different spells I could cast on poor little imps and still have them live... then I nuked the crap out of 'em!
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL, yep i used to do the same kind of thing, testing out my strengh! I was just playing some FF1 on an emulator, worked flawlessly.

George

Jan 29, 2002 at 10:52 AM Post #15 of 19
Super Turrican has some fantastic tunes.

I remember it when I first played it on the Commodore Amiga... in fact it was the early 90's when I got hooked on these chip tunes.

Due to the SNES audio hardware limitations (although it was brilliant for it's day) I prefer listening to these tunes through speakers. Too much stereo separation to be enjoyable on headphones.

PS.

Gloco:

Here's the Shadowrun soundtrack

http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/shadorun.rar

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back