Favourite ipod EQ setting with your X10's
Sep 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 10
Threadstarter, the next thread you start can be 'favourite ground glass ice cream sprinklings' (perrier green, beer bottle brown...).
wink.gif

EQ is the achilles heel of the iPods; it causes substantial distortion. No one can figure out why Apple don't fix it given that the hardware is otherwise pretty good and other manufacturers like Iriver produce decent equalisers. I suggest leaving EQ off.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 10
It depends on what music I am listening to on the Image, if the music is already bass heavy, then I just set the eq on the ipod to off, if classical music or Piano then I set to acoustic.

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Threadstarter, the next thread you start can be 'favourite ground glass ice cream sprinklings' (perrier green, beer bottle brown...).
wink.gif

EQ is the achilles heel of the iPods; it causes substantial distortion. No one can figure out why Apple don't fix it given that the hardware is otherwise pretty good and other manufacturers like Iriver produce decent equalisers. I suggest leaving EQ off.

I expected a reply like this and I considered hedging against it, but I personally get annoyed when reading opinions that hedge against everything.

Fact is changing the EQ tweaks the sound a bit more to my liking.

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Fair enough. No intention to frustrate or annoy. I personally am frustrated that Apple can't solve such a basic issue after so many years. (It is also true that I'm not a great believer in even good EQ; my bias may show through.)

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People of head-fi tend to choose cans they don't need to eq.

That is such an arrogant comment. Are you saying I should buy a different set of cans because I like the X10 with the acoustic EQ setting?

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreadStarter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is such an arrogant comment. Are you saying I should buy a different set of cans because I like the X10 with the acoustic EQ setting?

I think he's simply saying that the majority of head-fiers (statistically speaking) prefer to use a flat EQ, and they choose their headphones based on that preference. Whether or not it's objectively true, I didn't read his statement as arrogant or imperative, although I can see how one might. If your preferences include EQ adjustments, I don't think anyone's saying you need new headphones...

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 10
I've been wondering about EQ settings on my Imod when using an amp. I honestly can't hear that much of a change in tone, depth, etc. regardless of what music I'm listening to. Could the Imod + amp combination negate the effects of the equalizing???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back