Favourite engineered album?
Mar 1, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #61 of 114
In I way I can see where they are coming from when they say it is a bad recording, it was clearly overly engineered in the bass department. The thing I really like about it is the layering of instruments is very clear, I can pick out each instrument all at once.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #62 of 114
ok guys, Pink Floyd is obviously my favorite band (at the time I joined here anyway) but I've always kindof wavered between Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Are there any Zeppelin remasters that could possibly make it onto this list? I know of that multi-disc remasters set, but I haven't heard it. (give me a break here, I'm a beyond-broke college student
plainface.gif
) Also I don't have good enough equipment to tell a decently engineered album from an exceptionally well engineered one, although the arguement could also be made that recording engineering is, like headphones, a matter of personal preference, i.e. some people prefer the guitar/drums/bass/vocals louder or more defined, etc, than others.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #64 of 114
> TO THE 90% OF YOU READING THIS AND NOT POSTING REPLIES: Many of
> you probably never post and just read what others have to say. This ONE
> time, as a favour to me, please speak up and let me know your opinion on
> this! I've hit a real rut lately in finding music that really moves me, and I
> find that the only music I ever really get into is stuff that was referred to
> me by word of mouth. NON-POSTERS STAND UP AND POST! Cheers

Ok, i feel guilty now...

Off the top of my head / among what i've been listening to lately:

Cat Power - the Greatest - nice recent recording with pretty good detail, in particular it has exactly that 'hearing a drumstick actually connect with a ride cymbal instead of just hearing the ring of the cymbal' you described.

Suzanne Vega - Nine Objects of Desire - clarity & space around the vocals, acoustic bass & drums are awesome. Especially the track Tombstone - one of my references when i was comparing different IEMs.

Elysian Fields - Bleed Your Cedar - beautiful piano sound, lots of space, detail on all instruments.

Laika - wherever i am i am what is missing

(ok, i really don't listen to *only* bands with female vocalists, i swear, it just turned out that way...)

Ok, here's one - Rolling Stones - Tattoo You

And i definitely have to second the mentions of Tom Waits 'Bone Machine', Massive Attack 'Mezzanine', Joe Jackson 'Body & Soul', Buena Vista Social Club, Ok Computer, most Beck, & anything by Rudy Van Gelder -- all fantastic stuff.

And i totally agree about the word of mouth thing -- i've gotten some of the best stuff that way. Just from this thread, i've checked out Electrelane 'The Power Out', and am liking it so far. I also revisted Graceland (picked up the remastered one) & went & got his new one, 'Surprise', done with Brian Eno.
Really cool!

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #65 of 114
Queen - The Game: tight, bassy, precise and it ROCKS!

Then of course there's Metallica's St. Anger (but it takes a damn good hardware to hear it), Maiden's Brave New World, and Nirvana's Unplugged

There's also a lot of nice jazz stuff with female vocal, Cassandra Wilson's Glamoured and Madeleine Peyroux 1/2 the perfect world come to mind

Graceland is prettily mastered but boy, does the songwriting suck there!

BTW The worst one out there is Black Sabbath's Born Again. I don't believe engineering gets any worse than that

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #66 of 114
0304 - Jewel (new one)
Protection, Blue Lines and Mezzanine - Massive Attack
A Funk Odyssey - Jamiroquai
The Violin Player - Vanessa Mae
Rush - Eric Clapton

Dissapointments:
Come away with me - Norah Jones (you can bloody hear it clip)
Goodbye Country - Groove Armada (clean it up a little!)
Lilly Allen - Ummm... can someone say COMPRESSED?
Wolfmother - Simply Low-Fi

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #69 of 114
I may not have the best ears around seeing as how I work around jet engines....and am still new to the audiophile thing.....heres my choices...dont know about the best recorded ones, but these sound very very "clean" to me...

The Darkness.....One Way Ticket to Hell..this album was produced by Queens producer....interesting fact...

NIN...The Downward Spiral

Sublime...self titled

Primus....The Brown Album(listening to it right now)

Audioslave..self titled...I use this album to compare stuff with. The detail of the highs in it are amazing

Chevelle...Wonder Whats Next

Story of the Year...Page Avenue

Also alot of the live albums from Dave Matthews, Primus, Gov't Mule, and so on sound amazing.....to me at least...

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #70 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
> TO THE 90% OF YOU READING THIS AND NOT POSTING REPLIES: Many of
> you probably never post and just read what others have to say. This ONE
> time, as a favour to me, please speak up and let me know your opinion on
> this! I've hit a real rut lately in finding music that really moves me, and I
> find that the only music I ever really get into is stuff that was referred to
> me by word of mouth. NON-POSTERS STAND UP AND POST! Cheers

Ok, I like these albums for their engineering:

Eric Clapton : Unplugged : When listening I feel like I am in the same room

Damien Rice : O : Love the differences in volume on this record, which artist use to make his point. "I remember "gives me freakin' goosebumps every time.

Hooverphonic: Sit down and listen to : Another live recording, female vocalist.

José González : Veneer : You hear the cracks in his voice and his fingers touching the snares of the guitar. Some strokes you can hear the vibration and beauty of one snare.

Spinvis : Spinvis : Dutch artist made his record at home sticking parts of tape together. Astonishing results. Beautiful in it's simplicity, never like something I heard before.

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #71 of 114
Ok, a few of my personal favorites:

1. Alison Krauss - Lonely Runs Both Ways

2. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert

3. The Beatles - Love

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #72 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwrs10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Story of the Year...Page Avenue

HAH, you're from Korea and you listen to Story of the Year?!?! They're from St. Louis, and I'm probably gonna be on page avenue tomorrow getting a soldering iron to build myself a CMoy. Keep on rockin in the free world
eggosmile.gif
(hopefully you're in South Korea)

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #73 of 114
a couple of suggestions of really neat and crisp recordings IMHO :

- the albums by Jack Johnson
- another vote for the albums by Ray Lamontagne
- Massive attack's 100th Window

and one artist that may be more known to the belgian and dutch Headfiers, Ozark Henry...the recording quality of his albums is really superb, an absolute delight on headphones...especially his last album "soft machine", or his previous "the Sailor not the Sea".

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #75 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon Wrangler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of Steely Dan's albums sound fantastic to me, on CD or vinyl. Some say they're overproduced, but I think they are very natural, dynamic, and balanced. Texture and soundstage are outstanding.

Gotta second or third this one. From Countdown to Ecstasy on, some of the best sound of the '70s and '80s.

I also have to include Patricia Barber's collection. The SACD and XRCD releases really take already excellent recordings to another level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back