Favourite engineered album?
Feb 9, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #46 of 114
My personal favorite is by E.S. posthumus, Unearthed, they've done a ton of work and alot of stuff you may recognize from movies. But brilliantly recorded and written music.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #47 of 114
Grateful Dead:
American Beauty and Workingman's Dead
These are two really well done CDs. American Beauty is a dual disc, but I don't listen to the 5.1 side.

Steely Dan:
Aja, Gaucho, Can't Buy A Thrill, Pretzel Logic
I'm mildly irritated with Katy Lied, because "Daddy Don't Live In That New York City No More" sounds terrible on my DT880.

King Crimson:
In The Court of the Crimson King
I have the "Original Master Edition" CD, and it sounds great. I'm listening to it now!

Red Hot Chili Peppers:
Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik
The CD I have of Mother's Milk was made before they put the "Parental Advisory" stamp/sticker on the sleeve/jacket (whatevas, brah). Listen to these and it will make you even more pissed about what they did to Californication.

Soundgarden
Superunknown and Badmotorfinger
For metallic grunge, these sound pretty darn good. God forbid they are ever digitally "remastered" during this age of the "Loudness War."

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #48 of 114
I love Jazz at the pawnshop I and II albums.

Their recoding quality is so great that I feel as if I was in one of the

audience of the Jazz performance.

orphsmile.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #49 of 114
Of the stuff I listen to currently (not including jazz or classical, since those are generally ahead), I think Beck CD's are all recorded very nicely. Guero is like a pseudo-binaural CD!

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #51 of 114
Woven Hand - Mosaic / Consider The Birds / self titled
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Jan Johansson - Jazz på Svenska / Jazz på Ryska
Sigur Rós - Takk...
Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
Zombi - Surface To Air
Primus - Brown Album (I don't actually care much for the music, but the sound of this album is awesome. I've use the drum sound as reference many times. It is _raaaaw_)
Danny Elfman - Serenada Schizophrana

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #54 of 114
i see a lot of nods for paul simon's graceland, joe jackson's body & soul, and the police.

i second all those choices as terrific discs to check out a hi-fi system (just for sound, no comment on the music)!

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #55 of 114
I don't know if it is the engineering per se, but Dave Matthews Band's "Before These Crowded Streets" is very textured and dynamic and all the other words I keep seeing used on this thread

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #56 of 114
Lately I've been enjoying the sound of:

Jackson Browne's The Naked Ride Home, and
UB40's Who You Fighting For?
(I don't agree so much with UB40's politics, but the music is great, and the album sounds great too.)

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #58 of 114
The most recent nice surprises:

Pat Metheny - The way up: Jaw dropping sound quality and by far the best jazz album I have listen to in years

Guillemots - Through the windowpane - incredible quality, especially for a debut album

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #59 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSIR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also the new Rise Against CD Suffer and the Witness

Borrowed my roommates CD collection and was going through it. Had heard this CD in his car and really disliked it (sounded so congested). But again E500s made the album sound fantastic.

I agree. It sounds pretty good but there is some noticable clipping in some parts.

My friend let me borrow 10,000 Days buy Tool, and it sounds great. Not really my type of music, but it is really clean sounding for such a heavy album.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #60 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. It sounds pretty good but there is some noticable clipping in some parts.

My friend let me borrow 10,000 Days buy Tool, and it sounds great. Not really my type of music, but it is really clean sounding for such a heavy album.

I agree. I mentioned 10,000 Days use an example (1 of many) for a lossless/lossy comparison, and people flamed me saying it was a terrible sounding recording, I didn't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back