Favourite Balanced DAC (up to $1k)?
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Derivative

100+ Head-Fier
What's your favourite balanced DAC up to $1k / £1k / EUR1k?
Can be used or new, and the budget is a rough number so happy to hear options above that level, within reason.
R2R or delta-sigma. Ancient or cutting edge.

After a lot of experimenting, I think I've settled on my desktop amp - the Violectric V280.
I'd like to feed it from balanced DAC to keep the whole chain balanced.
Currently it's hooked up to Mojo2, a combination I enjoy a lot. But I always wonder if it can be better...

Grateful for the community's input! thanks

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Sonic Frontier SFD-1 mk2.

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 7
Bifrost 2/64

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Thank you for the responses, appreciated.

Sonic Frontier SFD-1 mk2.

Advantage DAC-1

Would love to have a listen to the Sonic Frontiers and Advantage but seems this will be difficult given they're discontinued, if I'm not mistaken?
Interesting to note that "vintage" DACs (for lack of a better description) are featuring as favourites. Might have to go hunting at my local audio store!

Bifrost 2/64

Had the Bifrost 2/64 recently, and foolishly sold it... thinking I could do better. the search continues.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 7
If you want I could sell you my SFD-1 mk2 with a couple set of tubes for $1k. It‘s my backup to my backup dac 😄

someone is selling theirs for $780 with stock tube. You should get that.
Thank you for the responses, appreciated.

Would love to have a listen to the Sonic Frontiers and Advantage but seems this will be difficult given they're discontinued, if I'm not mistaken?
Interesting to note that "vintage" DACs (for lack of a better description) are featuring as favourites. Might have to go hunting at my local audio store!

Had the Bifrost 2/64 recently, and foolishly sold it... thinking I could do better. the search continues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back