Favourite "Archduke" piano trio by Beethoven?
Oct 24, 2006 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

adhoc

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,

I heard the "Archduke" piano trio live recently for the first time and I'm looking to pick up a recording that contains this piece.

I'm hoping to find a recording that's at least a strong 9/10 in both recorded and artistic quality. FWIW my taste in Beethoven leans towards schneiderhan (violin concerto), brendel (selected sonatas, piano concerto #5), pollini (piano concerto #4), karajan '62 (symp #9) and the new budapest quartet (string quartet).

So far the records I'm considering include the Du Pre/Barenboim/Zukerman, the Perlman edition and the countless Beaux Arts Trio versions (why are there so many anyway?!).

The Cortot/Casals/Thibaud recording (yes, even the remastered version) is OUT due to an unacceptable amount of surface noise which makes it impossible to enjoy over headphones IMO.

Bunnyears, DarkAngel, daycart1, scottder - all the classical regulars - any recommendations you can give would be much appreciated!

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 12
Well, if you like Schneiderhan's way with Beethoven, then this cd is right up your alley, as they play in a very similar "classical" style:

B00006IKOU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116727117_.jpg

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 12
Tyson, thank you for that recommendation - perhaps my mention of Scheiderhan (and Pollini for that matter) was a little out of place considering my preference for a slightly (and only slightly) more romantic interpretation of Beethoven's later work.

I enjoy Schneiderhan's interpretation of the violin concerto because it is flawlessly played with a great deal of brio (and technical brilliance) despite the 'coolness' and detachment inherent in it's interpretation.

I enjoy Pollini's 4th piano concerto because it conveys a detached elegance that I find works better for me in that particular concerto. This is in stark contrast to Brendel's majestic and heartfelt interpretation of the 5th, which is more my cup of tea.

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 12
Then I think you are fine w/the Beaux Arts Trio, they are quite romantic, and play together as a group much better than most. I also have the Florestan Trio doing this work, but I feel like they try to over-interpret the music, and it seriously disrupts the flow and unity of the work.

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 12
Anner Bylsma, Jos Van Immerseel and Vera Beths have a very good version out on Sony. The recording is close to demonstration standard, and the performance simply superb - classically proportioned but with power in reserve when needed. Balances are definitely helped by the use of early instruments, with the fortepiano sounding suitably sonorous for once, but without dominating the other two players.

Oct 25, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 12
bump for this thread - surely there must be more opinions out there?

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
Anner Bylsma, Jos Van Immerseel and Vera Beths have a very good version out on Sony. The recording is close to demonstration standard, and the performance simply superb - classically proportioned but with power in reserve when needed. Balances are definitely helped by the use of early instruments, with the fortepiano sounding suitably sonorous for once, but without dominating the other two players.

There is at least another recording of the "Archduke" on period instruments - the Castle Trio on Virgin (now re-released on Virgin for cheap with Schubert Eb-major trio) - which sounds imo a little more "romantic" (read: traditional with more relaxed tempi, rubati etc.) than the above L'Archibudelli version recommended by zumaro. Lambert Orkis plays the fortepiano, Marilyn McDonald violin, Kenneth Slowik 'cello, musicians who were once affliated with Smithsonian Institute.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Arch...e=UTF8&s=music

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 12
I think for HIP, the subject has pretty much been covered already.

However, there is a newer release of the trio in SACD/Hybrid by Freddy Kempf and the Kempf trio (Bis) that I really love. The sonics as well as the performance are just superb. I also love the Florestan Trio's Beethoven Trios; Volume 4 includes the Archduke. That one could still be picked up at yourmusic the last time I checked, which might make it the way to go.

B0002YCW3W.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116100018_.jpg
B00067FFAM.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116337987_.jpg

Oct 26, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks all for the recommendations so far. I do not have much experience with HIP type recordings and wish to get a little bit more experience with live performances before making the transition.

Over the last few days I've managed to have a listen to a few versions of the Archduke trio after finding a little hole-in-the-wall shop that would let me preview albums.

B00005ND43.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59654555_.jpg

The Beaux Arts Trio play beautifully (later 1980s set), but their beauty is more one of quiet refinement rather than emotion and vigor. I decided to pass on this set - it was bedtime Beethoven to me.

B0000AF1KD.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Perlman edition version (Harrel/Perlman/Ashkenazy) is nice, but somehow didn't "grab" me. The Archduke is played intelligently and with sensitivity, but somehow, the sparks didn't fly for me here.

The set I eventually went with was the du Pre/Barenboim/Zukerman 3CD set, released in 1989. This CD is phenomenal. The players (du Pre especially), play with an incredible amount of emotion. This CD will likely become one of the gems of my classical collection.

B000002S12.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

While there is little difference between these 3 recordings SQ-wise, there is still a hierarchy:

1. Beaux Arts (warm, full, piano is miked a little close though IMO)
2. Harrel/Perlman/Ashkenazy
3. du Pre/Barenboim/Zukerman (a bit too closely miked overall)

I think it is significant that I went with the du Pre/Barenboim/Zukerman set despite it having subjectively the least SQ.

One strange thing that occurred to me was that Harrel was using du Pre's cello in the Perlman set, yet sounded nothing like her at all. The timbre and "sound" was completely different.
confused.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
One strange thing that occurred to me was that Harrel was using du Pre's cello in the Perlman set, yet sounded nothing like her at all. The timbre and "sound" was completely different.
confused.gif

Ah, another mystery of performance! A cello can sound very differently depending upon the artist! There are many elements of technique: bowing (phrasing, how one holds the bow, attack, etc. are just a few techniques), use of vibrato, portamenti, etc. which all contribute to very individual sounds. That is another reason why people like me collect multiple recordings of the same works by different musicians.

Edit: Btw, if you are a member of yourmusic.com you should get the Florestan Trio's Beethoven string trios vol. 4 which includes the archduke. That recording is superb in terms of performance, interpretation and sound quality! A bargain at $5.99!

Oct 26, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 12
"So far the records I'm considering include the Du Pre/Barenboim/Zukerman, the Perlman edition and the countless Beaux Arts Trio versions"

These are all outstanding versions, which should provide much enjoyment.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back