Favoured drivers for av710 ,wolfson dac(analog) specific
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Way

New Head-Fier
Warning:This thread is a ,I WANT IT ALL on a wee little budget, kind of thread

Software used:Foobar 8.3(resampler dsp),asio forall,via audiodeck.

So far I have tried the latest drivers from via,5.00, and I am able to get kernel streaming(96)working quite nicely,but no asio forall(2.6).

After a ridiculous amount of research reading threads, I came across a users preference for the 1.43 drivers.So after installing these I was pleased to find
asio forall worked but only at 44.1.No kernel streaming.

Anyone have a favourite for drivers and settings specifically for the 7/8 analog outputs?Perhaps somewhere between 1.43 and 5.00 is the sweet spot.Links would also be appreciated.I have all the the setup guides read and reread , and am open to the fact I am have missing something quite obvious.Perhaps asio for all does not work for the wolfson dac at 88.1 or 96.I f I had to choose one or the other I would go with asio. I am looking forwared to squeezing everything I can out of this card.

In the case of av710 drivers "sorry about your sanity" seems fitting.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 9
ASIO4All needs to be able to change the sound card's sample rate. In high sampling mode (and in normal mode when automatic sample rate selection is not enabled), sample rate is *fixed*, at either 96 or 192 kHz in this case. Thus if you want to use both ASIO4All and KS, stay away from this and throw out the resampling in Foobar2k.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 9
-foobar: 24bit, no dsp, no resampling, kernal stream.
-envy 4.51 driver: 2 channel, enable digital out, pcm only, automatic sample rate select.
-connects to wolfson dac output.
this setting does not work with the latest v5 driver.

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 9
Stupid question time... be gentle with me. I have searched the forum and cant find a difinitive simple answer. What is the wolfson DAC on the Chaintech AV710? Is it just the connector for digital out?

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 9
I have installed winamp and it's asio plugin and it seems so far to work consistently.This leads me to believe there may be a problem with foobar or its asio pugin.Perhaps an older version of the asio plugin may work, but I have only found the most recent two(dll.51 and exe.54).Anyone know where I could find older versions?Asio forall works fine with winamp as well.Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

To answer your question caramelsoul,the wolfson dac is used specifically for analog output.It converts the audio signal from digital to analog and in the case of this card is reputed to be of a higher caliber than the other dac'sl loacted on the card.The wolfson dac is connected to the black 1/8" headphone jack located right beside the spdif out.

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Way
To answer your question caramelsoul,the wolfson dac is used specifically for analog output.It converts the audio signal from digital to analog and in the case of this card is reputed to be of a higher caliber than the other dac'sl loacted on the card.The wolfson dac is connected to the black 1/8" headphone jack located right beside the spdif out.

Oh i see. Now i am getting even more confused. I currently use the optical out which then goes to my Denon home theatre system. It has an internal DAC. So would i be better connecting through the 1/8" output on the card to my hi-fi or just leave it going through the optical out from the card.

Thanks for taking the time to ansewr my questions...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelsoul
Oh i see. Now i am getting even more confused. I currently use the optical out which then goes to my Denon home theatre system. It has an internal DAC. So would i be better connecting through the 1/8" output on the card to my hi-fi or just leave it going through the optical out from the card.

Thanks for taking the time to ansewr my questions...
smily_headphones1.gif

No, you have the right idea. Digital out from a soundcard is much better than its headphone out. Especially when you have a higher quality DAC to send the signal to.

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for answering my questions. I promise this is the last one in this thread,
wink.gif
so should i buy an amp for my headphones and plug that into the soundcard or just plug headphones into my Denon?

Thanx again

Mar 12, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 9
The av710 has a decent DAC; however, if it is better or not than your denon's dac, only your ears can tell. Get an amp with a 30 days return and try. Keep what you like most. I use a good external dac and amp because it sounds better. The cost/benefit relationship is something very personal; only you and your wallet can decide
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back