Favorite Violin Concerto - Composer and Performance
Jul 20, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #31 of 97
I have the Bell prokofiev CD (I'm a big fan of Bell), but IMO he is too warm. For a great set, check out Vengerov doing them (coupled with excellent renditions of the Shostakovich VC's on 2 cd's). D@mn!

Jul 20, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
I have the Bell prokofiev CD (I'm a big fan of Bell), but IMO he is too warm. For a great set, check out Vengerov doing them (coupled with excellent renditions of the Shostakovich VC's on 2 cd's). D@mn!

I've grown very fond of the Prokofiev Concertos. Will have to check that out at some point as well. Oh and add that room to the house for all these CDs. UGH

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #33 of 97
I have discovered Sibelius' concerto (for the first time) about a month ago. And I can recommend two recordings - one is the only recording of the original version (current version also included) and is a great performance even if it's the only one. The other is Perlman / BSO / Leinsdorf and it's excellent, both performance wise and sonically. And you get Tchaikovsky's to boot (I actually got the disc for Tchaikovsky then discovered Sibelius) - also a great performance. And I believe both discs are fairly cheap.

My favourite violin concerto, hm, that would be tough, I prefer 3rd movements by a LARGE margin, so I'd just bundle them all together
smily_headphones1.gif
. Exception is Mendelsohn, that holds a special place in my heart (first movement). Otherwise, Bruch's are all good, and there are great recent performances by James Ehnes (got our Canadian Juno award 2 years in a row) - do check them out.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #34 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
I have discovered Sibelius' concerto (for the first time) about a month ago. And I can recommend two recordings - one is the only recording of the original version (current version also included) and is a great performance even if it's the only one. The other is Perlman / BSO / Leinsdorf and it's excellent, both performance wise and sonically. And you get Tchaikovsky's to boot (I actually got the disc for Tchaikovsky then discovered Sibelius) - also a great performance. And I believe both discs are fairly cheap.

You didn't identify the recording of the original version of the Sibelius coupled with the final revision. The one I have is on BIS with Kavakos as soloist. Is that it?

BW

Jul 27, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #35 of 97
Two of my favorites:

Hilary Hahn: Bach Concertos on Hybrid SA-CD
Rachel Podger La Stravaganza featuring Arte Dei Suanatori on Hybrid SA-CD

I love Antonio Vivaldi and these two female violinists are superb.

Jul 27, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #36 of 97
Picked up Lin recently doing the Prokofiev concerto's and I think he does a better job than Vengerov, plus he also has a very good rendition of the Stravinsky violin concerto on the same CD. Really great recording too.

Jul 27, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #37 of 97
I also like the Lin Prokoviev CD, especially for its very piquant Stravinsky (vis. Hahn's ultra-modern version). My current favorite Prokoviev set however is Gil Shaham's for its earthy, folksy style, and you also get a Prokoviev violin sonata.

--Andre

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #38 of 97
I just love Britten's violin concerto and - although Vengerov did a remarkable good recording with Rostropovich and the LSO last year - I still think that Ida Haendel with the Bournemouth SO under Berglund is the strongest version to date. Besides it also includes another favourite of mine, Walton's concerto (though the violin concerto is not Walton's best concerto IMO), that - also just last year - has also been recorded remarkably fine by Akiko Suwanai with CBSO under Oramo (a SACD hybrid that has the Sibelius concerto as its first work).

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #40 of 97
Ah yes, I wasn't aware that Hope did record the Britten. Thanks. Though I didin't like his playing with the Beaux Arts Trio, his solo recordings so far have been fine. Must look out for this...

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #42 of 97
Currently my favorite violin concerto is Shostakovich 1, played by Vengerov. I haven't heard any other interpretations, so my opinion is purely based on the piece. I think the unmistakable excerpt of the passacaglia of Shostakovich 1 is some of the most beautiful bars of music ever.

Check it out.

Jul 28, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #43 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
Currently my favorite violin concerto is Shostakovich 1, played by Vengerov. I haven't heard any other interpretations, so my opinion is purely based on the piece. I think the unmistakable excerpt of the passacaglia of Shostakovich 1 is some of the most beautiful bars of music ever.

Check it out.

You're right, it's a wonderful piece, and Vengerov's recording is excellent. Also worth hearing are the recordings by Oistrakh/Mitropoulos (CBS), Mordkovich/Jarvi (Chandos) and Salerno-Sonnenberg/Maxim Shostakovich (EMI).

Jul 28, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #44 of 97
I agree with you HD-5000, the passacaglia of the DSCH VC #1 is one of the the most beautiul pieces of music I've ever heard. If you get an opportunity to hear it live don't miss it.

The Vengerov recording is a close second to Oistrakh and Mitropoulos. If he didn't take the second movement so slowly it may be my favorite version.

Speaking of the Stravinsky VC, does anybody else have the Anne Sophie Mutter version? Outstanding!

MJ

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #45 of 97
so.. anyone have anything particular to recommend me for the mendelssohn?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back