Favorite underrated orchestra
Jun 1, 2006 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
For me it's New York's Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. Even though they are well known in classical circles, they seem to be over shadowed by the big named orchestras like the New York Philharmonic, London Philharmonic, etc...
The Met orchestra is brutal and awesome. In my opinion, they are comparable to the more famous orchestras. I actually find them more exciting too. And they do from time to time perform at Carnegie Hall in non opera concerts. I saw them once doing Mahler symphony no. 6 and they kicked some serious butt.

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 26
Who conducted the Mahler 6, James Levine? He's an awesome Mahlerian.

New York also has the Orchestra of St. Luke's which is finally getting more attention. It's principal conductor is Donald Runnicles and it performs mainly in 3 venues in NYC, Carnegie Hall, the Brooklyn Academy of Music and now the new Morgan Library recital hall. They have a wonderful chamber ensemble which does a great baroque series.

Jun 1, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 26
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra of course!

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

For me it's New York's Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. Even though they are well known in classical circles, they seem to be over shadowed by the big named orchestras

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The reason they may seem overshadowed by other orchestras is because when it comes to opera, people focus more on the singers than the music. When one goes to a performance of opera, the whole thing must be taken into consideration - the singers, the music, the direction, etc. With a performance by just an orchestra, the music is the sole focus and the orchestra will get all the attention, unlike an opera orchestra.

As far as the Met's orchestra, they are bar none, the best opera orchestra in the world today and are highly regarded as such.

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen
As far as the Met's orchestra, they are bar none, the best opera orchestra in the world today and are highly regarded as such.

I think that the Berlin Staatskapelle and the Orchester der Wiener Staatsoper might disagree with that assertion, and - given the repertoire - so might I.

As far as being underrated by the whole scene, it's the Dresden Staatskapelle. Among those in the know, there is no question of their supreme quality; however, there are more famous orchestras out there.

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 26
Hey! I've played under Levine. He was incredible, in that wierd kind of demented way. Was a lot of fun...

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #10 of 26
oops, doubled...

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
I think that the Berlin Staatskapelle and the Orchester der Wiener Staatsoper might disagree with that assertion, and - given the repertoire - so might I.

As far as being underrated by the whole scene, it's the Dresden Staatskapelle. Among those in the know, there is no question of their supreme quality; however, there are more famous orchestras out there.

I regularly see the Dresdenstaatskapelle described as one of the best orchestras in the world in so many print sources that I have lost count! That is, thank goodness, not an underrated orchestra. Even when Dresden was behind the Iron Curtain, the orchestra was very well thought of. As for it being less well known, I would venture to say that the only people unaware of this are people who don't regularly listen to classical music.

The Berlin Staatskapelle was less well thought of but not since Barenboim took the podium. I think the Kölner Rundfunk Radiosinfonie Orchester was probably more underrated than most because their exemplary work in Bertini's Mahler cycle seems to have come as a shock to even the critics.

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Yes, it was Levine.

I have his recording of the M6 with the Chicago SO. I'll bet they really kicked ass that night.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 26
San Francisco Symphony - Their stock is rising with the general classical-music-listening public, but in my opinion, there is no better orchestra in the United States, and they aren't regarded that that highly yet. There may be a few that are equals, but none that surpass it.

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 26
From the tone of the thread I gather we are talking about traditional symphonic orchestras with their own venue and season.
In Europe there are many good bands largely ignored by the "Anglo" press (to name a few: ONF Paris, Lyon, Verdi in Milan, Bologna, Barcelona, Budapest) that lead by the right conductor can play exceptionally well. The problem is that they lack the depth (both artistical and financial) of the big bands so their output is somewhat inconsistent (or inconsistently reviewed
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back