Favorite sub $1100 amp?
Dec 10, 2014 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Amish

500+ Head-Fier
Hey gang. I currently own two Garage1217 amps; Ember and Polaris.

I have to admit I'm quite happy with these. That said I have been looking over the web for several months now for a sub $1100 amp. I would prefer tube.

Can any of you suggest some you have heard and enjoyed? I'm thinking maybe a little input is needed at this time.

I am attracted to amps that are not the norm but well loved by those that have used them. I'm okay with considering a major brand name though.

I'm not against SS amps and would consider them as well if they are recommended highly enough but I think i would prefer a nice tube amp. I know I prefer the Ember over the Polaris.

Ummm I will be using it with the LCD2 mainly and the Pogoda DAC.

I don't want a kit. No DIY for me.

Thanks!!

I could up the budget to around $1200-1300 if needed but would prefer to stay around $1k or so.

I'm also not a fan of buying china gear and then having to upgrade parts to get the quality I want.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 6
I heartily enjoy my Woo Audio 2 with appropriately swapped driver tubes for different Dynamic headphones voicing I have, namely the HD600s I demoed, DT990 600ohm, and sometimes the HD650 depending on mood. I am saving for some HD 800s, I'm hoping that will be a nice tubey sounding pairing.

However, if my experience with my HE 560 planars mean anything, I don't like the WA2 combo with low impedance planars. The impedance is a little higher on the LCD2 and a hair more efficient, and more forgiving. That may help in the WA2 drivability with them.

I'm hoping a SS design with high current and lower output impedance of the Gustard H10 I have coming might help in this matter for more adequate pairing with planars. Similar in implementation to what I was getting with the Project Polaris I just sold.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 6
As a caveat I don't own the LCD-2s so take that for what you will, you might find someone else say that they enjoy the WA2 pairing with the LCD2s.

I just know that due to the richer tube sound of the WA2 that can become more detailed and improved with tube upgrades. However, it really doesn't push enough damping and headroom for such a low impedance headphone as the HE560, the specs of the LCD2 are not that far off, so that's why I mention it's something to consider.

I do really enjoy the sound of the WA2 with dynamic headphones and its design seems better suited in that area. I also enjoy the preamp capability of the WA2 as a dual-tasker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back