Favorite Santana album?
Apr 11, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumient /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caravanserai (1972)

Caravanserai.jpg

Have listened this album very often for many years. Still can't remember any individual songs from it, but love the album anyway. Smooth and somehow hypnotic.

My favorite too!

JD
580smile.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 29
Caravanserai.
Borboletta.
III.

In this order.

I'm a bit surprised that Caravanserai gets that much love here.
I've seen quite a few questions about the favorite Santana album asked at audio forums and usually III is on top and Caravanserai far behind.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumient /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caravanserai (1972)

Caravanserai.jpg

I'll add my vote for this one as well. Good stuff.

From the amg review:
Quote:

Drawing on rock, salsa, and jazz, Santana recorded one imaginative, unpredictable gem after another during the 1970s. But Caravanserai is daring even by Santana's high standards. Carlos Santana was obviously very hip to jazz fusion -- something the innovative guitarist provides a generous dose of on the largely instrumental Caravanserai. Whether its approach is jazz-rock or simply rock, this album is consistently inspired and quite adventurous. Full of heartfelt, introspective guitar solos, it lacks the immediacy of Santana or Abraxas. Like the type of jazz that influenced it, this pearl (which marked the beginning of keyboardist/composer Tom Coster's highly beneficial membership in the band) requires a number of listenings in order to be absorbed and fully appreciated. But make no mistake: this is one of Santana's finest accomplishments.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 29
Though admittedly not their best album, there are some real gems on Santana's Marathon album that are definitely worth a listen! Check out the following cuts:

1. You Know That I Love You, and,
2. All I Ever Wanted

Apr 29, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #27 of 29
I am delighted to see so much love for Caravanserai. It sends chills up my spine every time I listen to it.

If you like Caravanserai, give Welcome a try. And of course Lotus, which features live tracks from both these albums.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #28 of 29
Well, all the best have been named though I'll list them in my order of preference:

Santana/Abraxas tie
Caravanserai

Another oft overlooked album is Zebop. Much of it is over produced and tainted in spots by early 80s sound but there are some killer tracks there with fantastic Carlos work and good vocals too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back