Favorite Reference Music
Mar 15, 2009 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dreamwhisper

1000+ Head-Fier
When trying out a rig, what are your 'reference songs that you use a benchmark and why?

I use:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (1959) [FLAC] {96kHz-24bit SVP rip}\B - 02 - Flamenco Sketches.flac
(I used to use So What, but it started getting old)

Bjork - Homogenic (1997) [FLAC] {Japanese Release}\01 - Hunter.flac
(speed of bass response, imaging of mids, coherency of music)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (1973) [FLAC] {De-Clicked Silverking's Vinyl Rip 24bit-96khz}\08 - Us And Them.flac
(dynamic range)

Rx Bandits - The Resignation (2003) [FLAC]\12 - Decrescendo.flac
(detail)

Electric Universe - Burning (2008) [FLAC]\01 - Meteor (original remake 2007).flac
(dynamic range within mids/tube euphoria)

Adham Shaikh - Fusion (2004) [FLAC]\01 - opal.flac
(imaging and soundstage)

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 3
Gomez - Liquid Skin - Virgin/Hut Records (2001) - Apple Lossless

This one album is one of my favorites, just in terms of its music, is splendidly mastered and recorded, has a wide dynamic range, has both small and large soundstage parts. For me, its the perfect rock album for testing out headphones. It's really the only album that I test every single time.

Also, just based on familiarity and "I have to enjoy these albums with headphones" The Allman Brothers Band Live at the Fillmore East and Oasis (What's The Story) Morning Glory?. But I dont really judge headphones with these albums the way I do with Liquid Skin.

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 3
I like use The Revealing Science of God by Yes from Tales From Topographic Oceans. It's a good long piece I'm very familiar with.
Mamagamma or Sirius by The Alan Parsons Project is a good test of electronica. For that matter, anything produced by Alan Parsons is high quality enough for evaluating equipment.
I also like Call of Ktulu and Creeping Death by Metallica if I'm testing for hard rock ability.
Fem vocals must be tested by Enya and male vocals: Meat Loaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back