Favorite Recipes?
Jan 23, 2005 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JohnFerrier

1000+ Head-Fier
Tonight it's Sauerkraut and Spare Ribs...not necessarilly my favorite, but I haven't made them in awhile.

Off the top, my favorites are Tacos, Shrimp Phad Thai, and Cincinnati Chile.

Anyone else? If you don't like to cook, what's a favorite dish?

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 20
OMG! A thread made for me! Favorite recipes? I have so many, from picadillo and empanadas de verde to chicken soup with rice! Beet and fennel soup, mushroom soup, sopa de quinoa, pot roast, boeuf bourguignon, veal piccata, turkey and stuffing, apple pie, cherry pie, beef brisket, chicken with bokchoy and artichoke hearts, sausage and radicchio, franks and beans casserole, baked ham, hoppin' john, lentil soup, locro de papa, ceviche de camarones, wild sea bass (cooked almost in any way), braised endives, poulet chasseur, roast prime ribs of beef, rack of lamb, mashed pototoes, trenette col pesto, figs with prosciutto, OMG, I just ate and I'm getting hungry again! Fresh tuna seared with a crust of pumpkin seeds. Risotto with peas and asparagus, Risotto alla milanese. Butternut squash soup, with or without crabmeat. Crab and corn chowder. Gazpacho, tortilla de papas, omelets, eggs benedict... OMG
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 20
Dishes (I can't cook em):

beef + seafood mee catung (cantonese noodle), pork chops (the style popular in vietnamese restaurants), bakea cha maricht (shrimp and black pepper deep fried or something), beef rice noodle soup, hong kong steak, ribs, baw baw, and whole bunch more. One of my favs is fish. Threy cheen choon, threy kmow, threy w/ hot pepper, etc.

Bunny, All I can say is, Whoah. Can you reall cook all that?

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Bunny, All I can say is, Whoah. Can you reall cook all that?

I have at some time cooked all of those dishes. Obviously, I don't do all of them frequently, but I have all the recipes and I do make most of them, especially the soups. My husband loves soup, and meat, so all of the beef dishes (which are for the most part the easiest to prepare, if time consuming -- except for roast filet, which only takes 45 minutes to an hour) get made pretty regularly, as do the chicken dishes. My husband doesn't care that much for lamb, so I haven't made a crown roast in a while and forget leg of lamb. He won't eat that ever! The toughest one is the empanadas de verde. The empanada wrappers are made by mashing boiled green plaintain with a little of the cooking water until it comes together as a dough. You then fill them with either queso fresco and little aji (hot sauce) or a little picadillo (ground meat seasoned with herbs, bay leaf and olives). Then they are sauteed until the crust is crispy. They are to die for, but they are so labor intensive that I only do them once or twice a year. It is so much easier to make regular patacones, the fried green plantain or ripe plantains wth rice. There are also llaping gachos (pronounced yaping gachos), which are patacones sandwiched around queso blanco. Also much easier than the empanadas de verde. but apple pie, cherry pie, are things that I make and have made so often that I don't even think about them. Turkey and stuffing? that's such a regular that it's not funny. Of course, with the kids gone, I'll just roast a breast and make the stuffing along side (safer that way!). For Passover and Chanukah, potato latkes and salmon croquettes are treats that get made for the season.

I've been cooking for close to 30 years so you do get adept after all that time, and I collect cookbooks, so there's always a new recipe to try. Some of you guys really get a charge out of that soddering iron. I get my jollies by smelling the meat braising or the sauce reducing. Cooking is my diy!

Jan 23, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 20
A cooking thread, great idea!

I love cooking although my experience is limited to a little Chinese homecooking, a little German housecooking and maybe two Spanish dishes which my girlfriend back then made me learn so that I could cook for her. So much for pragmatic thinking
biggrin.gif

Without exagerrating, cooking has to be one of the greatest things in life and exemplifies perfectly how something simple can be turned into art for all senses. And it's also a great socialization factor because who doesn't like to invite a cook over? I have the greatest respect for professional cooks.

My personal favourite recipe is a variation of the Peking Duck, which involves three days of preparation but eventually pays off. You have to continuously paint the duck with a certain sauce (consisting of soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and some other stuff I'll have to look up). The only drawback is that you'll make a real mess out of the kitchen because the duck needs to be hanged during the three days and I never seem to find the right place to hang the duck. The oven will also be quite dirty after the whole procedure.

Here's one basic recipe which is easy to do and doesn't need a whole lot of ingredients:
Cut carrots into very, very thin slices and I usually use a machine for that. The reason is that carrots take a long time to be done. Cut one or two onions into small pieces (just for flavouring the oil) and cut some bacon into thin strips. Also prepare a little bit of pressed garlic for later. Put oil into the pan. I usually use normal oil because olive oil adds its taste to the dish but that depents on what you like. When it's hot, put the onions and the bacon into it. Just before the bacon is ready to go for being eatable, take them out and put them on a plate for later. Then again, oil and onions in the pan. Then put the carrots into the pan, which will now take quite a long time (depending on how thin the slices are). Once the carrots are soft and good to be eaten, put the bacon back into the pan and cook everything for one or two minutes or so. Then try the dish and add salt if necessary (not before because the bacon can be enough to make the dish salty). Finally distribute the pressed garlic on the dish, et voila - it's done. If you don't want the garlic taste to be so strong, put them into the pan earlier. The key to the dish really lies in the carrot's softness. When you eat the carrots, there shouldn't be a sound when you bite them but it shouldn't be too soft either. Because the dish itself is rather easy and there aren't too many interacting flavours involved, the dish's consitance plays a big role.
As main dish, I'd recommend rice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Cooking is my diy!

Do you happen to have a schematic for your Cmoy if it isn't too complex? I'm always curious about trying out new things as long as they don't require too much cooking wit.

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

OMG! A thread made for me! Favorite recipes? I have so many, from picadillo and empanadas de verde to chicken soup with rice! Beet and fennel soup, mushroom soup, sopa de quinoa, pot roast, boeuf bourguignon, veal piccata, turkey and stuffing, apple pie, cherry pie, beef brisket, chicken with bokchoy and artichoke hearts, sausage and radicchio, franks and beans casserole, baked ham, hoppin' john, lentil soup, locro de papa, ceviche de camarones, wild sea bass (cooked almost in any way), braised endives, poulet chasseur, roast prime ribs of beef, rack of lamb, mashed pototoes, trenette col pesto, figs with prosciutto, OMG, I just ate and I'm getting hungry again! Fresh tuna seared with a crust of pumpkin seeds. Risotto with peas and asparagus, Risotto alla milanese. Butternut squash soup, with or without crabmeat. Crab and corn chowder. Gazpacho, tortilla de papas, omelets, eggs benedict... OMG
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Um, can I come over?

My favorite lately is to pan fry sliced chicken breasts or thighs with olive oil, garlic, Tamari soy sauce, cumin, pepper, Sriracha hot sauce, ceaser dressing, maybe a little honey, and whatever else sounds good, and use it to top a caeser salad.

Team Tamari!

G

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 20
Favorite period: Piedmontese rice salad and chinese filled buns (bao)
Favorite cheap and easy: stir fried gai lan and penne à l' arrabiata.

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

I have at some time cooked all of those dishes. Obviously, I don't do all of them frequently, but I have all the recipes and I do make most of them, especially the soups.

I too enjoy cooking. I have been collecting cookbooks for about 35 years and have probably a couple of hundred. I even have a number signed by James Beard from a class I took from him in 1970. If you like soups here are a couple from a favorite restaurant of mine in San Antonio, Tx; El Mirador. They are only served on weekends so most of the tourists never get to try them.

Sopa Azteca

1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Medium Onion, peeled and sliced
6 Cloves Garlic, peeled
2 Pounds Tomatoes, Red Ripe, cored and diced
1 1/2 Tablespoons Oregano, dried
1 1/2 Tablespoons Basil, dried
1 Tablespoon Cumin Powder
1 Teaspoon Pepper, ground
10 Cups Water
2 Pounds Chicken
3 Bay Leaf
1 Sprig Epazote
6 Ounces Tomato Paste
1 Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
1 Cup Celery, sliced
1 1/2 Cups Zucchini, diced
1 Large Carrot, peeled and sliced
Salt, To taste
1 Medium Potato, peeled and diced
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
15 Corn Tortillas, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1/2 Pound Spinach, washed stemmed and cut into strips
1 Avocado, peeled and cubed, sprinkled with lemon juice
1 Pound Mozzarella Cheese

1.Place oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and saute until they are translucent and soft, roughly 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, cumin and pepper. Continue to cook until tomatoes are soft, 10 more minutes or so.
Puree in a blender or food processor. Set aside

2.Bring water to boil in a large soup pot. Add chicken, bay leaves and epazote. When water returns to a boil skim foam then add the pureed vegetable mixture and tomato paste. Simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked and tender, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken and discard bones and skin. Shred meat and set aside.

3.Add bell pepper, celery, zucchini and carrot to the broth and cook about 10 minutes or until tender. Remove vegetables and set aside. Salt broth to taste.

4.While the soup is cooking, parboil the diced potato in salted water until tender. Drain and pat cubes dry on a paper towel. Heat the vegetable oil un a saute pan and fry potatoes until brown. Drain on towels and set aside.

5.In the same hot oil fry tortilla strips in small batches until crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel and set aside.

6.To Serve: Divide vegetables and potato cubes among the soup bowls. Add to each bowl in order: tortilla strips, spinach, shredded chicken, avacado, and cheese. Pour boiling broth over all and serve immediately.

Caldo Xochitl

1 Frying Chicken, cut in pieces
10 Cups Water
Salt (2 Teaspoons or So), to taste
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper, ground
1 Tablespoon Cumin, ground
1 Sprig Epazote, If available
1 Sprig Basil, or 1/2 tsp dried
3 Bay Leaf
4 Whole Cloves
2 Cups Zucchini, sliced
1 1/2 Cups Carrots, diced
1 1/2 Cups Celery, diced
1 1/2 Cups Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 Medium Onion, peeled and chopped
1 17 Oz Garbanzo Beans, Canned, drained and rinsed
1/2 Cup Cilantro Leaves, Tightly packed
1/2 Cup Green Onion, white part only
1 Jalapeno, or 2 seeded finely chopped
3 Cups Hot Cooked Rice
2 Ripe Tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 Ripe Avocado, finely cubed
Lemon Juice to Sprinkle on Avocado

1.Place chicken, water,salt, pepper,cumin, epazote, basil and bay leaves in a large soup pot. Bring to boil over high heat, skimming off any foam.

2.In a blender puree the cloves, oregano and garlic with a little water and add to the soup. When the water comes to a boil lower the heat and simmer until the chicken is very tender about 40 minutes.

3.Remove the chicken and when cool remove all skin and bones and shred the meat. After this add the zucchini, carrots, celery, green peppers, onion and garbanzo beans to the soup and simmer until the vegetables are tender but still crisp, roughly 15 minutes. Now return the chicken to the soup.

4.To serve: Place 1/4 cup of rice in the bottom of each soup bowl and ladle the soup over it. Garnish with cilantro mixture and cubes of tomato and avocado.

Let me know if you give these a try.

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I too enjoy cooking.

Seems the perfect foundation for a sub-forum. I too has passed the «Bachelor 101 kitchen survival kit» period....
biggrin.gif

I'm sorry for the numerous members who cant read French but I'm posting a link to a Cult TV ressource we have here up north about this hobby:

http://www.telequebec.qc.ca/aladistasio/

Somewhere, deep down, I know I'm Italian....

Amicalement

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 20
mmmmm....soup!!

I've got what I think is the BEST recipie for Hot & Sour soup that I've ever tasted. I'll have to post it later on when I track it down.

I'm thinking that I'll have to make some soup today...it's cold here, and I'm just starting to get over a NASTY case of cold/bronchitis. Maybe my old favorite Beef & Mushroom-Barley soup!! MMMMM!!

Jan 23, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 20
During the Christmas holiday I had one of the best bowls of soup I have ever tasted. We had it a Italian place in Chicago Bella Note on Grand Ave west of Ogden. It was a good day a trip to Music Direct then lunch. The soup was made with cannellini beans, escarole and homemade Italian sausage. It could be a meal.

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 20
I've just copied the sopa azteca and caldo xochitl to my hard drive! They sound very nice!

Here's how I make beef stew:

2 to 2.5 lbs cubed beef for stewing (large 1.5 inch cubes)
Neutral cooking oil (preferably peanut oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower seed oil or corn oil. I don't advise canola or Wesson oil because they tend to smell a little "fishy" when used for the sauté.)
One carrot cut into three or four pieces
1lb of the baby carrots in the bag (You can use more depending on your tastes)
6-8 Small red boiling potatoes peeled (depending on size) Also, you can use more or less depending on taste.
Flour for dusting
1-2 cups? Coarsely diced onion (maybe more, I never measured how much I use, so sometimes it's two onions, sometimes one, depending on the size)
2 cloves garlic minced (this can also vary, depending on the size of the cloves and the time of the year -- garlic can be stronger or weaker in different seasons)
Italian parsley stems
Oregano, thyme, rosemary (just a pinch as this can be very overwhelming) Salt, pepper
Sliced cremini mushrooms
1/2 cup red wine
16 oz. beef stock or mushroom broth

1. Rinse and pat dry beef, sprinkle with salt and pepper and then dredge in all purpose flour.
2. Preheat large skillet with cooking oil (preferable heavy cast iron or stainless steel type, 12 inch diameter and at least 3.5 inches high. It should also have a cover.). When oil "shimmers" add meat in layers without crowding. Brown meat on all sides and remove and reserve. Make sure meat is in a dish that can contain all of the juices.
3. If pan is dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Add diced onion when onion is sufficiently wilted and browning just a little, add minced garlic. (Be sure to move onions and garlic around while browning them. You want to have the onions well cooked before adding the garlic. The garlic should not brown as it becomes bitter at that point.
4. when garlic is fragrant, add 1 tablespoon of flour to create roux. Cook flour mixture until it turns a light golden color. Add beef stock stirring until it incorporates with roux. Add red wine.
5. Return meat to pan, and be sure to pour in any juices that have accumulated.
6. Lower flame to simmer, you want to braise the beef not boil it! At this point, add one carrot coarsely chopped to liquid around beef and stems from parsley. Sprinkle with a few pinches of oregano, rosemary, thyme or what ever herb you prefer. Salt and pepper to taste.

Cover and let braise for about 2 to 3 hours. Be sure to watch to make sure the heat does not get too high or too low. This can be tricky. If your pan is not heavy enough, you will have to use a flame tamer or something to keep heat even and low. As the meat cooks, keep checking to make sure that juices have not evaporated (should not be a problem). If the pan fits into your oven, you can cover the top with heavy foil and then the skillet cover and place into a preheated 350 degree oven and braise there. Edit: lower oven temperature to 325 after you place pan in oven.

When meat is done, transfer to top of stove, put flame at simmer.

NOTE: THIS PAN WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT AND IT WILL STAY HOT FOR A LONG TIME!! USE CAUTION AND GOOD POTHOLDERS WHENEVER YOU MOVE IT OR HANDLE THE LID!
Add baby carrots to the stew. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add small potatoes (carrots take longer to cook).
When potatoes are almost done, add mushrooms, stirring to make sure that they are covered in juices.

Taste and correct seasonings, I usually add some salt or pepper at this point. If juice is too thin, then after removing meat and vegetables, you can add some beurre manié, which is 1 tablespoon of butter with a tablespoon of flour mashed into it. This will thicken the juice very nicely.

Serve garnished with chopped fresh Italian parsley.

Enjoy with hearty red wine or a really good beer.

This is supposed to serve at least 4, but depending on appetites and meat shrinkage, it may serve less.

I hope this recipe works. It's from memory and it's difficult because I just throw everything together without measuring anymore. I just pour in the wine or broth until the whole thing looks and smells the way I want it to smell. The same for the herbs.

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks for actual recipes. john_jcb with an ingredient list like that, I know three things: 1) it take much more than 30 minutes to prepare, 2) my kitchen is kind of a wreck afterwards, and 3) the results often are very worth the effort. Thanks!

I'm finding good results with improvisation now, but enjoy the Cook's Illustrated magazine/books.

(Like a hobbit) is it time for second breakfast, or mid-lunch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back