Favorite Radio Programs
Sep 24, 2004 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

timoteus

500+ Head-Fier
I listen to a lot of radio and have quite a few favorite programs but I thought I would throw out this one for starters.

The Bonnie Simmons Show. Playing right now...Thursdays at 8:00 Pacific. I get great sound quality listening through my hot tuners but you can listen online. Eclectic mix of new and old, I hardly ever miss this show.

http://www.kpfa.org/1pro_bio/1b_simmo.htm Description.
http://www.bonzilla.com/ Past playlists.

If there is much of a response to this I can list some other shows. What do you listen to?

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 12
I love Mountain Stage ,not just for the great music but the fantastic FM sound quality as well. It airs on both the local Public radio stations and XM radio. I prefer the sound on FM.

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 12
I was gonna do a "joy of FM radio" thread but this is a great start. Thanks.

I really think every audio system,Hi-end or not,needs a good FM tuner. There is so much great programming available for free on your FM stations.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I really think every audio system,Hi-end or not,needs a good FM tuner. There is so much great programming available for free on your FM stations.

I couldn't agree more. A good tuner and decently broadcast FM is still a great vehicle, and a DJ with a little freedom will always do their best to introduce you to the best of what's out there. There's nothing quite like the perfect set!

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 12
I like Riz's show on KEXP . The sets are long, up to 45 minutes, and the variety is incredible. It airs Wed and Thurs 9PM - 1AM Pacific time but is also available from the streaming archives.

Sep 24, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 12
1. Hearts of Space on NPR
2. Echoes on NPR
3. Loveline....sometimes on the way home from work. Dr. Drew is cool.

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Norman Jay's Giant 45 on BBC London. It's great. Two hours of music every Sunday, most of which I've never heard, but all of which is great. Mostly soul, funk, hip-hop and house, 70's to present. I think there's a feed somewhere on the BBC web for all you non-Londoners. Norman Jay is also the only DJ to get an MBE, AFAIK.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 12
In no particular order:

Vin Scelsa's Idiot's Delight (now on WFUV; streams for people out of town)

Jonathan Schwartz's The Sunday Show on WNYC (great sounding transmission!) and XM.

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz (widely syndicated; sound is a bit lacking)

Tapes of Jean Shepherd (see www.flicklives.com)

Live NY Philharmonic broadcasts (very good sound)

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 12
I used to love listening to The King Biscuit Flower Hour on KZAP here in the Sacramento area. Heard some great live concerts by Chicago, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Blood Sweat and Tears, The Who, etc.

Thanks for starting this doggone thread, now I am starting to look at tuners over at Audiogon.

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I used to love listening to The King Biscuit Flower Hour on KZAP here in the Sacramento area. Heard some great live concerts by Chicago, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Blood Sweat and Tears, The Who, etc.

Thanks for starting this doggone thread, now I am starting to look at tuners over at Audiogon.

Todd caries Magnun Dynalabs and those are great tuners.

I also love Echoes and Piano Jazz.

If you guys ever get a chance to check out Mountain Stage listen to the great sonics of the live recordings and how great the imaging and soundstage come through. I still marvel at how great FM can sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back