Favorite Prog-Rock/Metal of the past 10 years?
Jan 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #31 of 43
Jan 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #35 of 43
Even though many people consider Coldplay as alternative or post-britpop, to me, the are progrock.  I like them.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #36 of 43

Quote:
Even though many people consider Coldplay as alternative or post-britpop, to me, the are progrock.  I like them.

First couple of albums, definitely.
This last poppy, subpar album IMO sealed their fate as officially no longer being "prog-rock" musicians.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #37 of 43
Yes, I would agree with you.

Quote:
First couple of albums, definitely.
This last poppy, subpar album IMO sealed their fate as officially no longer being "prog-rock" musicians.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #38 of 43
Some favorites that I don't believe have been mentioned.

Autumn
Chaoswave
Communic
Counter-World Experience
Ebony Ark
Ephel Duath
Kingfisher Sky
Panzerballett
Star One
To-Mera
Paul Wardingham
Yakuza
Zero Hour

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #39 of 43
Long Distance Calling.

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #41 of 43

Quote:
Hmmm, where to start...? Here's my list of pretty new bands (with album suggestions):

-Indukti  (SUSAR)
-Devin Townsend Project (Deconstruction) (the "project" part started in 2009 with KI I believe)
-Katatonia (Night is the new day)
-Karmakanic (Wheel of time)
-Animals as Leaders (Animals as Leaders)
-Nevermore (Dead heart in a dead world)
-Wolverine (Communication last)
-Haken (Visions)
-Seventh wonder (The great escape or mercy falls)
-Protest the hero (Fortress)
-Periphery (Periphery)
-Mastodon (Blood mountain)
-ISIS (Wavering Radiant)

Those are the ones on top of my head, tell me if you want more and I can fill in some. Some bands are from the late 90's, sorry bout that.

There we go! Glad to see Isis, Periphery and Animals As Leaders mentioned. Wanna know something funny? About fifteen years ago I remember a couple members of Protest The Hero playing Super Nintendo with my older brothers in the basement. Hilarious eh? :p 

I want to stress how awesome Tool is. Lateralus is one of the most robust, sophisticated, tasteful, thoughtfully written, legitimate and sonically pleasing albums ever written. Seriously, just listen to it. It is one of the best albums ever written.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #42 of 43

Quote:
There we go! Glad to see Isis, Periphery and Animals As Leaders mentioned. Wanna know something funny? About fifteen years ago I remember a couple members of Protest The Hero playing Super Nintendo with my older brothers in the basement. Hilarious eh? :p 

I want to stress how awesome Tool is. Lateralus is one of the most robust, sophisticated, tasteful, thoughtfully written, legitimate and sonically pleasing albums ever written. Seriously, just listen to it. It is one of the best albums ever written.

Lateralus was the album that really cemented me as a Tool fan.  Best thing is the tracks from that album sound awesome live the two times I've attended their concerts. 

Some more recent bands I have really enjoyed are Oceansize and Amplifier, both really excellent texturing. 

Since Amazon keeps recommending Animals as Leaders to me, I just picked up an album from them.  Hope they're good. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #43 of 43

Quote:
Lateralus was the album that really cemented me as a Tool fan.  Best thing is the tracks from that album sound awesome live the two times I've attended their concerts. 

Some more recent bands I have really enjoyed are Oceansize and Amplifier, both really excellent texturing. 

Since Amazon keeps recommending Animals as Leaders to me, I just picked up an album from them.  Hope they're good. 

I love Oceansize and Amplifier too. OSI is nice too.

Surprisingly I am listening to prog heavy weights bands which I have never listened before and liking them too.. Don't be surprised when I name Gentle Giant. Genesis, Yes and Van Der Graaf Generator.

Special Note for all the 'Heritage' haters out there:

I was always in to Heavy/Death/MetalCore/Grind/Tech Death etc... Then I heard 'Heritage' and since then I have heard more Prog then I have heard in my entire life....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back