Favorite playback software?
Aug 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

petsy

New Head-Fier
Curious to know what you guys prefer and/or like when it comes to playback software on the computer. Yes, sure, mobile might be of interest too, but let's focus on regular computers if we can.

What software is there for "serious" audio playback? What do you like, what do you think is essential in terms of functionality etc? Am a VLC guy myself (believe it or not). 

Thanks, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm using J.River media center 18 and pre-purchased MC19. Very happy with it. Using WASAPI with bit perfect settings for audio playback. It can be used to play videofiles too but I've been too lazy to properly configure it for the job.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
Curious to know what you guys prefer and/or like when it comes to playback software on the computer. Yes, sure, mobile might be of interest too, but let's focus on regular computers if we can.

What software is there for "serious" audio playback? What do you like, what do you think is essential in terms of functionality etc? Am a VLC guy myself (believe it or not). 

Thanks, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Winamp. It really whips the Llama's ash. (at least, that's what I think the guy says....)

Cheers

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 16
iTunes. It's simple; easy to use; FREE; plays back bit-perfect! I operate on a custom-built Windows 7 computer at the moment, and I feel the latest iTunes 11 is excellent. I've owned previous versions of iTunes before and find for most of my music (which is encoded in Apple Lossless) works perfectly. I've done comparison test to other Windows alternative software, and I've yet to find a difference.

Apropos: just use whatever you feel works best for you and enjoy the music as it is what everything is narrowed down to.

Cheers,
Destroysall

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 16
On the PC platform foobar2000 is hard to beat:
- excellent sound quality, with support for WASAPI, ASIO, Kernel Streaming in addition to the Direct Sound
- incredibly flexible user interface: a truly arrange it your way possibilities, whether you prefer plain and simple or complex and sophisticated
- tens if not hundreds of add-ins available, from user interface extensions to exotic sound file format codecs
- very well designed and written: fast, multithreaded code runs file format conversions like a breeze
- well supported through users community forum, but also with quite frequent updates
- free

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 16
I have foobar200, MediaMonkey Gold, and iTunes all installed, but if I am just looking for playback, more often than not I use foobar.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 16
Xmplay with the dual active playlist view, one follow the track currently playing while you can freely browse the other, incredibly useful for my habit. Now if only it had multi/tabbed playlist support it would be perfect.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 16
My uncle has a mac, and he's tried a few software audio players, but the cheapest one he tried was actually the best one in his opinion. Audirvana I think is what it's called? Overrides iTunes and shuts down background programs to minimize noise. I think he got it for $80, and he can put it on multiple computers too, so it's a pretty good deal I think.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 16
I've tried MediaMonkey, iTunes, JRiver 18 and Foobar over the past few weeks. As a package JRiver takes some beating: easy to use, good SQ, nice interface. Foobar seems to be the favourite amongst diehard audiophiles though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back