Favorite piece of 20th/21st Century Classical Music?
Dec 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #63 of 68

Quote:
Arvo Part's "Fratres" for cello and piano.

I have them.
I think the man is absolute genius but I find alot of his material too sparse and somewhat cold.
Thats said, the works that I do love (3rd symphony, Tabula Rasa, Fratres and even Alina) are very powerful and dynamic.

Is there anyone that makes music that is similar to his 3rd?

Although I dont generally like any choral music, some of the songs on Annum Per Annum are incredibly haunting and beautiful.

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #64 of 68
I'm sure Barber's - Adagio for Strings, is on everyone's list. What I'm not so sure is if Corigliano's - 1st Symphony, is on everyone's list. The way I would describe it is the Rite of Spring meets Pictures at an Exhibition, on acid.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #65 of 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is there anyone that makes music that is similar to his 3rd?

I haven't heard his 3rd symphony but his 4th, subtitled Los Angeles, is something i have come to really like, especially the piece titled Affannoso. perhaps you'd like Johnny Greenwood's soundtrack for the film There Will Be Blood. it's what gave me an interest in "classical".

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #67 of 68

Phil Kline - Unsilent Night …dreamy yuletide minimalism that sounds fantastic all-year round…and it's possible that one of Kline's annual boombox caroling excursions just came through a city near you (they began 20 years ago here in NYC). Don't worry if you missed it, there's always next year.…

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #68 of 68

The way I would describe it is the Rite of Spring meets Pictures at an Exhibition, on acid

That sums it up perfectly.   I have the Slatkin NSO reading. 

One of my all time favorites is Crumb's Vox Balaenae

But how bout the Bliss Colour Symphony:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back