Favorite Opeth Album
Jul 20, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 24
But I think it's a great album just to relax too. Maybe not what people look for in an Opeth album, but at least they were brave enough to try something like that.

Listen to "Demon of the Fall" off of My Arms, Your Hearse for one of Opeth's heaviest tracks.

Jul 20, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #18 of 24
OK, here I go...

My favourite Opeth album is:

1. Still Life

Followed by:

2. Morningrise
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
4. Damnation
5. Blackwater Park
6. Orchid
7. Deliverance

Now. Personally, I thought Damnation was an improvement from it's predecessor and companion (Deliverance). It is the more unique chapter of Opeth's career and shows their willingness to explore. Rather than contrasting heavy and light they specifically focused on their delicate side (whether or not any Damnation track lives up to past delicates as Face of Melinda or To Bid You Farewell). I like this uniform approach, it steps beyond their previous outings and more astoundingly outside of the boundaries of heavy metal entirely (since it can't even be termed as a heavy metal album). I also believe it allows Mikael Akerfeldt to shine vocally (perhaps more so than ever before, though I do enjoy the mix of violent, deathly roars and clean mellow, melancholy sung vocals). I did miss the powerful guitar riffs with the occassional gut wrenching solo. But overall I must say Damnation is beautifully assembled, well executed, and certainly on par with Opeth's previous releases.

Just my $0.02.

Jul 21, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #19 of 24
I see that Deliverance is on the bottom of a few of your lists'. How could that be?! :p

Deliverance ROCKS!

It's way better than My Arms, Your Hearse
wink.gif

Is it on the bottom of your lists because its a bad album...or just simply your least favorite by Opeth?

Jul 22, 2003 at 7:02 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
I see that Deliverance is on the bottom of a few of your lists'. How could that be?! :p

Deliverance ROCKS!

It's way better than My Arms, Your Hearse
wink.gif

Is it on the bottom of your lists because its a bad album...or just simply your least favorite by Opeth?

I don't dislike any Opeth album, in fact all of them are very close. So I would have to say its just my least favourite, thats all.

Jul 22, 2003 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 24
I also have a hard time seperating albums Orchid - Deliverance,
they are uniformly excellent and I would be hard pressed to draw any real preference order........they represent the highest evolution of dark metal and display great artistry and diversity.

I really hope that Damnation was just a one time aberration, if this is the future direction of Opeth.............
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #22 of 24
I would have to say Blackwater Park is my favourite.

DA -- Damnation is not that bad, quit ragging on it. It isn't an "aberration", it was a "departure" -- they needed to do something different, and they did. I'm sure they'll go back to doing hard stuff, they just wanted a little diversion.

I do, however, tell people that it is the Opeth album that people who hate Opeth will like -- since what they usually hate about it is the growling vocals. This does not mean that the converse is true -- I like Opeth a great deal, and I like that album a lot. So there,
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
you like them a great deal, but, i'm guessing it is your least favorite of their albums? ;0

Not at all. I'd have to re-listen to all of them, but I rate them all pretty highly, so it's kind of hard to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back