favorite "new" old cd that blew me away
Jul 3, 2002 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

matthewd5

Head-Fier
i just got a copy of stevie wonders "music of my mind" and its amazing.

i listened to it briefly at work and loved it and then i put it on at home with my cosmic and senn-600's when i was getting ready to start reading a book.

the cd was so good i had to put down the book and shut off the light and just listen to the cd.

i can't remember a cd that was ever that good.

i mean sgt. pepper was damn good and probably close, but i had never listened to anything from stevie wonder before and i didn't have any expectations whatsoever.

matthew

Jul 3, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 38
when i was about fourteen or fifteen, i got "dark side of the moon". pretty much the same feeling that you just described. the same for "wish you were here."

Jul 3, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 38
hot damn we have a stevie wonder fan! matthew, you've just embarked on step one of an amazing musical journey: when wonder got a lot more introspective with his lyrics and started experimenting with music. you have to keep going through hotter than july chronologically. you may as well pick up talking book and innervisions next, both of which should blow your mind. then you can hit the fulfillingness' first finale and songs in the key of life stage, then the journey through the secret life of plants and hotter than july stage. its very rare that an artist or band has an excellent three album run, wonder had a seven album string of genius (minus portrait, his release for emi in the middle of the stretch that wasn't nearly as good as his motown/tamila stuff).

after that point we have the 80s, and stevie wonder just wasn't the same any more.

thank god for stevie wonder,
carlo.

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 38
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
cool.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 38
I can't limit myself to just one-- I buy way too much music. Instead, I'll list the albums that bent my brain in that life-changing way in the last couple years:

1. Nick Drake-- Fruit Tree Box Set

2. Scott Walker-- "Boy Child" (which led to the purchase of his first four albums from which "Boy Child" is culled)

3. Bob Dylan- Blonde on Blonde SACD. Believe it or not the first Dylan I ever bought. Desperate for things on SACD I picked it up. I never really "got" Dylan before-- but wham!! Now I have LOTS of Dylan. What took me so long? I even LIKE his singing now!

4. Joni Mitchell- "Blue". My JM collection is now 7 CDs strong.

markl

Jul 4, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5

That was the first album that Motown let Stevie write and record his "stuff", and sorta do his thang....

I saw him open for the Rolling Stones..... doing that album ( and his past hits, in Ft. Worth, '71??.....my birthplace)...By the time the Stones appeared on stage, everyone wanted more Stevie. (the chants went on and on). I've seen him twice since....

What a musician... what a song writer, and what a charismatic musical icon...

wink.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 38
I just popped in Bob James Touchdown and was reminded of this thread.
What a list of players!
md

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5

the cd was so good i had to put down the book and shut off the light and just listen to the cd.

I got Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life and I had the same experience...I am by no means a Stevie Wonder "buff" but I know that every song on that cd is great.

Another album that did this very same thing to me was Dark Side of the Moon when I got it years ago.

OOHH and how could I forget, Coldplay "parachutes!!" wow, that album i was amazed by. I had no expectations whatsoever and i was blown away by it.

Oct 28, 2003 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
Michael Jackson- Thriller.

He used to be one hell of a musician.

Hehehehe I remember him before he turned into a white man...

Oct 28, 2003 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Hehehehe I remember him before he turned into a white man...

You mean a white woman, don't you?
eek.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 38
The last one that really blew me away like that was probably the Who's Quadrophenia. What a great album, from cover to cover.

Oct 28, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 38
Big Star - #1 Record really blew me away when I picked it up this past week. Recorded in 1972, its style reeks of influence on all sorts of artists that came after it. I'm surprised that these guys have flown under the radar for so long.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back