Favorite Music Manager/Jukebox?
Sep 14, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 28
After it's all set up I find Foobar the perfect player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
All my songs have little boxes next to the title/album/artist in iTunes,

me too. i hate it but you just right-click, get info, then just click ok and it usually gets rid of the box. then when it's fixed i usually go into windows and make all those mp3s read-only files.

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 28
I can't help it. I love iTunes. Yeah, the CPU usage is a little silly, but its such a pretty interface...

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 28
Apple iTunes!
Simply because it does everything I need, like:
* Play all my audio files (Apple Lossless, AAC and MP3).
* Stream audio over AirTunes to my two AirPort Express'.
* Allow me to manage my iPod's.
* Burn audio CD's.

This is what it looks like:

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 28
Another vote for J River.

I have tried every single media jukebox/MP3 software mentioned in this thread extensively, and none of them (except for Foobar) are even a pimple on the ***** of the J River software. Foobar would be my second choice. As a matter of fact, I was a hardcore Foobar fan/user until I discovered J River.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
A foobar interface is tweaked to your personal specifications so it will always be the best for personal applications. Learn an interface or make my own hmmm.

The default JRiver interface is better than any foobar config I've even seen, or attempted myself. It took me less than 10 mins to learn JRiver's interface, plus it supports skins/addons too. Foobar has advantage only when you just want a plain, very low resource interface.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus
me too. i hate it but you just right-click, get info, then just click ok and it usually gets rid of the box. then when it's fixed i usually go into windows and make all those mp3s read-only files.

That usually works, but not all the time for me. And I have nearly 3000 songs... and I don't want to do that for all of them. I'm thinking that it might be a slight tag incompatibility, I've heard that foobar uses ID3 v2.4 (I think...) whereas most other things are on 2.3 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). This might have something to do with it, and maybe that's what's preventing me from getting album art through iTunes. Or it could be that iTunes will only find album art for those songs that have been ripped with iTunes.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
The default JRiver interface is better than any foobar config I've even seen, or attempted myself. It took me less than 10 mins to learn JRiver's interface, plus it supports skins/addons too. Foobar has advantage only when you just want a plain, very low resource interface.

It is also very full-featured and powerful, and that's without even getting into the 'advanced expressions' that yield an exponential increase in it's power.

I much prefer to spend my time organizing my library and playing my files than hunting for ways to make the interface usable in accessing the features.

No, it's not perfect, it's got some quirks, and maybe I've grown too comfortable with it to be unbiased at this point . . . . but I have tried alot of players before settling in and getting cozy.
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Apple iTunes!
Simply because it does everything I need, like:
* Play all my audio files (Apple Lossless, AAC and MP3).
* Stream audio over AirTunes to my two AirPort Express'.
* Allow me to manage my iPod's.
* Burn audio CD's.

This is what it looks like:

I hope the memory is devours is worth it.

Sep 15, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #27 of 28
I actually went the other way from JRiver's product from around version 8 to being a avoid foobar user. At that time jriver had no official support for flac and foobar looked like fun so I went with it. I am pretty happy, I have gotten foobar to do everything I needed from JRiver's, its free, and I don't have to pay $20-$40 each time a major update comes out. But if JRiver would have supported flac way back when I would still be very pleased as they put out a great pickup and go music player.

Sep 15, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #28 of 28
Another Itunes user... In all honesty I have tried messing with Fubar (mind you I never found those pre-configured versions).

I also own an IPOD and to be honest it's nice to just manage all my music in one location. I can find any piece of music in seconds with Itunes.

I won't disagree with the ridiculous amount of resource usage though but in all honesty I have enough RAM to go around and the CPU usage isn't that insane, I don't find it to be a real issue in all honesty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back