Favorite Monk Album....
Jan 30, 2002 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Flumpus

Needs more Soylent Greento become Omega Man
...OTHER than Straight No Chaser. I have that one
smily_headphones1.gif
Lookin' to buy some of it on vynil, so, any suggestions? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 13
I have "Monk's Dream" and it's one of my favourite albums. (Also one of my favourite "demo" albums).

I also want some recommendations! Help guys!

(Is "Monk in Paris", or something like that, (a live album) a decent recording? I saw that in a used shop yesterday.

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 13
My favourite Monks song is "Drugs In My Pocket", from "Bad Habits".

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
"Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane"

that sounds like a killer disc!
eek.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 13
braver - anything with trane is killer. At least to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally - and I haven't heard the Trane disc, which probably makes this rec. less valuable - I think the album Brilliant Corners is pretty damn good.

Jan 31, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 13
Some people like the Blue Note stuff best as it was groundbreaking and introduced the Monk doctrine, but my Monk medal of honor goes to the Riverside sets:

Monk & Coltrane K2 version(This is what I listen to the most)

Brillant Corners K2 version(This is the most daring of all his Riverside sets. The title track will knock you off your ass the first time you hear it - totally nutts but great.)

Also, Analouge Productions bought the rights to cherry pick the Fantasy Jazz catalouge for SACD releases so you may want to hold out for those, Monk titles are bound to be released.

Columbia/Sony needs to re-release more of his Columbia stuff on SACD & CD!!! Doh!!!

Jan 31, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 13
Also check out the 1958 Monk Five Spot recordings, made soon after Coltrane left and Johnny Griffin came in on tenor. They are on 2 CDs/LPs: "Thelonious In Action" and "Misterioso" on OJC (Riverside). Monk was in splendid form, Johnny Griffin wails with fervent emotion and invention, Ahmed Abdul-Malik (bass) and Roy Haynes (drums) provide creative and resonant support.

Jan 31, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Yeah, I didn't even mention the Analouge Productions Riverside LP box, way too expensive for most, but probably the best sound you can get. The picture on the box is pimpin' too - Monk has got his trademark hat, overcoat, and someone is pouring him a drink.

The K2 CDs are $15, some of them were on sale for $13 at Tower. These sound about as good as a CD remaster can sound imo.

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 13
BenG: That pimpin comment - lmao.......
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
Monk & Coltrane K2 version(This is what I listen to the most)

BTW, that's the one I was talking about above -- the K2 version
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back