Favorite Metal Drummer
Jun 10, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #61 of 96
While I dont like the band he's in, Joey Jordison was born to wield drumsticks. If you've ever seen some clips of him doing live solos, you'll be a believer.

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #62 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
rolleyes.gif

oh noes! i got the "sarcastic-passive-agressive-eye-rolling-emoticon"!

well i for one thought it was a good analogy. and when i was growing up, led zep was the heaviest sound going, and without them i doubt today's metal bands would sound quite the same.

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #63 of 96
FYI, Metal isn't about being heavy. If it were, then lots of Punk, Hardcore, Grunge and Nu-Metal would be applicable, same with some classical music...

Zep has no metal guitar riffing, or metal drumming and the guitar solos are pure blues.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #64 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by so_cal_forever
While I dont like the band he's in, Joey Jordison was born to wield drumsticks. If you've ever seen some clips of him doing live solos, you'll be a believer.

Yeah, he is awesome drummer. Far from best, but incredibly talented otherwise. When Frost had problems entering USA, he was behind the drums with Satyricon in their US concert. I have not seen it (though i really want to see some live video clips of it), but i heard he did really good job. Its sad that he doesnt play in better bands...

Jun 11, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #65 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachink
probably X Japan's Yoshiki

Yoshiki is definitely the most multi-talented person stated so far, being such an accomplished pianist, also, and not ever being beat in emotion or intensity (he basically broke his back from playing so intensely).

From american/european bands...

Jason Bittner from Shadows Fall is pretty good, lots of random bits in their songs which makes things interesting and he never seems to be troubled.

As far as the double bass-drum master, I'd say the guy from Chastisement, his unrelenting punishment known as the bass drum is utterly ridiculous. You can download their stuff from their site, "Life Denied" is pretty crazy...basically the whole song is beyond-fast double bass, how he keeps that up is beyond me.

Jun 11, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #67 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
but Danny Carey isnt a metal drummer.

One of the most unique and innovative rock drummers I must admit
tongue.gif

Due to your listening tastes, I think you have probably fallen out of touch with what most people consider metal. Since you listen to crazy, ridiculously heavy, often obscure metal, you may not realize that a great percentage of the population would easily consider Tool a metal band. I certainly do.

Jun 11, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #68 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
Due to your listening tastes, I think you have probably fallen out of touch with what most people consider metal. Since you listen to crazy, ridiculously heavy, often obscure metal, you may not realize that a great percentage of the population would easily consider Tool a metal band. I certainly do.

I too would consider Tool to be metal.

They are certainly a tough band to label. I just don't think they are a "rock" band. They are much heavier than typical rock band and you couldn't possibly compare them to the likes of Green Day or The Offspring (I know I'm venturing into "Pop-rock" or "Pop-punk" now) by definition of sound.

I'm not going to say that just because they play in drop-D makes them metal either, as a lot of, dare I say, "*****" bands play in drop-D (Panic! At the Disco springs to mind). But they do have this atmosphere and style that appears to be more "metal" than "rock".

Just my opinion on the matter.

However, being on-topic, my favourite metal drummer would have to be Danny Carey. I see diversity and creativity to be key aspects of any musicians playing, and Danny Carey, without a doubt, portrays these. His drumming has made me realise the importance of a varied soundscape throughout the whole of the band playing, not just the guitarists.

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #69 of 96
Metal-archives, largest metal band encyclopedia in internet, doesnt recognise Tool. I too consider it more experimental stuff than real metal. Havent heard much music from Tool anyway, but thats the impression i got. Tartareandesire considers Tool as nu-metal, but i find hardly any numetal influences in it...
Someone described Tool as Progressive Rock or Alternative Rock. Those are better IMHO descriptions than numetal.

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #70 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane

I do realise this, but this is not and never will be the deciding factor for such situations, a "great percentage of the population" would also say that metal just means its heavy
rolleyes.gif

I believe this has something to do with the large popularity of Nu-Metal, Rap-Metal and Metalcore in the United States, Canada and Australia, since the general population is used to these bands being referred to as metal then they will think that similar "heavy sounding" bands are metal too.

Just because something is heavy, does not make it metal, if this were true then alot of Hardcore, Punk, Grunge, Sludge/Stoner Rock and even some classical music would be eligible for the "metal" title.

Tool were a metal band, their first album was mostly Thrash Metal, however after that, they went down a slightly different path, and even since have not made a metal album.

There are plenty of bands that have done this, started off with Metal and gone down a different road.

The main reason why Tool's later four albums were not metal is because of the Progressive Rock drumming...

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #72 of 96
"Zep has no metal guitar riffing, or metal drumming and the guitar solos are pure blues."
wrong, wrong, and wrong.

although at this point winning this argument with you is like winning the special olympics.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #73 of 96
I find it amusing that you had to drag that conversation over to this thread. I also find it amusing that you had to resort to a personal insult as well.

Whether out of malice or in defense of the aforementioned Tool trying to make my posts look invalid, I do not know.

There are plenty of people that will agree with my words about either band, go post on one of the metal forums and you will find that pretty much everyone will disagree with you.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #74 of 96
Quote:

The main reason why Tool's later four albums were not metal is because of the Progressive Rock drumming...

This whole "He's metal! No he isn't!" back and forth garbage is getting really tired.

Metal today is a seriously ambiguous term. The genre encompasses just about every imaginable style of music. Symphonic, electronic, medieval, eastern, folk, rap, instrumental, jazz, noise, tech, freestyle, experimental, and who knows what else.. it's all there. Anybody that has really explored metal knows this. Enverxis, you should know this better than most people around here.

So really, what do you have to do to be a metal drummer? What are today's guidelines? Blast beat for 5 minutes straight? Do double bass rolls for 5 minutes straight? I think not, since the drumming in a lot of today's metal is WAY more varied and interesting. Cynic's Focus is considered by many to be a cornerstone album in technical/progressive metal.. but I have to ask if you would consider Sean Reinert's drumming on that record "metal" drumming? I get the feeling you wouldn't. Is Charlie Zeleny a metal drummer? Not exclusively, but he can do metal very well.

I feel the same way towards Danny Carey. I think he's a metal drummer, but he adds variety. With all the talk of him not being metal, I'm surprised you haven't come down on Mike Portnoy yet.. that guy is about as metal as a baby rabbit when compared to Danny Carey, and has been mentioned about as many times.

So, again, what does somebody have to do to be a metal drummer? How does he have to play?

Also, who cares what label some website puts on a band? Even if they are the self-proclaimed "largest metal band encyclopedia on the Internet"? What are their guidelines? What makes them right? Why should the bands they choose to exclude be definitively "not metal"? Metal is about breaking boundaries, shattering preconceptions, and basically going against all the plain and boring invasive crap that's consuming the world of music. Metal is an ideal.

I think Tool is a metal band. Yeah, they aren't Emperor, or Death, or Therion, or SYL.. but metal nonetheless. Like you said, metal doesn't have to be heavy. Tool writes music within the metal aesthetic, and that's all that matters.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #75 of 96
Quote:

I find it amusing that you had to drag that conversation over to this thread. I also find it amusing that you had to resort to a personal insult as well.

Whether out of malice or in defense of the aforementioned Tool trying to make my posts look invalid, I do not know.

There are plenty of people that will agree with my words about either band, go post on one of the metal forums and you will find that pretty much everyone will disagree with you.

drag what from who's thread now?

are you talking to me? i know exactly what's going on here. there is about a gazillion sub-genres out there, most only important only to a handful of fans. do i know the difference between "nu metal" and "butt metal"? no. and i don't care too. zep has been, is, and always shall be heavy metal to me. john bonham not a heavy metal drummer? are you serious? feel free to disagree, but my point was it would be stupid (hence the special olympics) to try to convince eachother otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back