Favorite Metal Drummer
Jun 2, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #48 of 96
Not metal-but Neil Peart forced me to appreciate drumming and realize its potential to impact a song...kicked my a** when I first heard "YYZ" when I was about 12 yrs. old.
Currently, mine is Danny Carey simply because of his originallity and willingness to constantly go in new directions.

BTW-Portnoy is ridiculous as well, but unfortunately I cannot get into DT so I am missing alot of his work.

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #49 of 96
Danny Carey, especially since I've seen him live 2 days ago, and he's just as amazing as he sounds on the albums.

And Portnoy is up there as well for me. I love Dream Theater.

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #50 of 96
but Danny Carey isnt a metal drummer.

One of the most unique and innovative rock drummers I must admit
tongue.gif

I have yet to find a metal drummer whose style I find totally awesome in most aspects, although close-comers would be Sam Gutterman, Tor-Arne Helgesen (both Jazz influenced) and Martin Lopez (latin influenced).

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #52 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
I agree with a lot of the previous nominations but I''m going to have to second Meshuggah's Tomas Haake. That guy is a fricking robot and Meshuggah continues to set the bar in math metal because of him.

I can agree with that
smily_headphones1.gif
He's absolutely amazing, almost inhuman. I also vote for Jimmy Chamberlin, even though he never worked with a metal band, he kicked so much ass on "Ode to no Ode" in the Smashing Pumpkins last show at the Chicago Metro. He has lots of talent, glad to see he's back with the resurrected Pumpkins
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #55 of 96
zep is heavy metal, not metal.

like chuck berry is "rock and roll", not rock.

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #56 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
zep is heavy metal, not metal.

like chuck berry is "rock and roll", not rock.

rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #58 of 96
Hellhammer. No contest--just listen to that instrumental part in the middle of Arcturus' Hibernation Sickness Complete, or that Mayhem album A Grand Declaration Of War in its entirety. Trym from Emperor is also pretty good. Few others can make 99% blastbeating not get old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back