Favorite Metal Drummer
Jun 1, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #31 of 96
When Zeppelin was big, back in the '80's they were known as metal and rock, now they are just classified as classic rock, I know that, but when they were most well known, they were indeed metal.

EDIT: Hmm.. the more I think of it, the more I deny myself here.. maybe y'all are right

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #32 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
When Zeppelin was big, back in the '80's they were known as metal and rock, now they are just classified as classic rock, I know that, but when they were most well known, they were indeed metal.

EDIT: Hmm.. the more I think of it, the more I deny myself here.. maybe y'all are right

Yeah, and besides, wasn't Zepplin basically dead by the 80's anyway
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #33 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
Led Zeppelin is not metal

x2... Most of Jimmy Pages Live solos are pure Blues... and ALL are heavily blues-based.

Jun 1, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #34 of 96
Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, AC/DC and likes are Hard Rock or Heavy Rock, a harsher version of rock&roll. While being similar, musically and point of playing differs from Heavy METAL or metal overall, a person brother of rock music.

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #35 of 96
Another great drummer which i forgot.

Nicholas Barker, ex-Dimmu Borgir, ex-Old Mans Child, Lock Up.
Incredible bursting speed, endurance, and machine-like timing. Not very versatile or thats the impression i got. He does some complex stuff but everything sounds militant and straightforward. That militant style sounds great though! I love his work in Old Mans Child - Defiance Of Existence album.
basshead.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #37 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by citywithoutmetal
gene hoglan

ditto, along with Tool's Danny Carey, Meshuggah's Tomas Haake

Favorite non-metal is Dave Weckl

-edit- chris pennie from dillinger escape plan is pretty good, too

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #38 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
For me, the most impressive metal drummer of all time is Dave Lombardo, formerly of Slayer.

He's actaually back recording with Slayer for their new album!

Dave Lombardo and Nick Menza are my favorite drummers.

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #43 of 96
Apart from a few already mentioned in the thread, here is a few more of my favorites:

Peter Wildoer from Darkane. An all around excellent drummer who knows when to go in all guns blazing, and also when NOT to. He also has some of the most impressive cymbal work I've ever heard.

Asgeir Mickelson from Borknagar, (ex) Vintersorg and Spiral Architect. He may not be the fastest or most extreme drummer around, but he excels in terms of uniqueness and technicality.

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #44 of 96
I agree with a lot of the previous nominations but I''m going to have to second Meshuggah's Tomas Haake. That guy is a fricking robot and Meshuggah continues to set the bar in math metal because of him.

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #45 of 96
Most impressive - Lombardo. Most pleasing - Portnoy.

Greatest ever - Bill Bruford (Crimson 72-74 counts for HM)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back