Favorite mastering engineers?
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #31 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am surprised no one has mentioned Stan Ricker. He was responsible for the half-speed mastering of most if not all of the Telarc audiophile series LPs and also many of the original Mobile Fidelity half-speed mastered LPs.

If he did MoFi, then he's my man. I really like some of Steve Hoffman's masterings (The Beach Boys, "Endless Summer" - I think his best) but alot of them, I feel, don't live up the hype. i don't know why that is, I guess they're only as good as the tapes he has to work with. His "Zombies Greatest Hits" for example still sounds really compressed to me. "Aqualung" is also underwhelming. I don't like his vocal mastering on "Al Green greatest." On the other hand, his "Pet Sounds" is the best there is. Also, I like his laid back version of Steely Dan's "Aja" but I can also see why the company wanted a snappier version and went with another remaster for the U.S. release. I think Hoffman's mastering was used in England.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #33 of 33
Greetings, BKK. I used to work at The Nation. I hope things have calmed down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back