favorite low-fi recordings
Dec 7, 2006 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
As a relative newb, I keep finding flaws in some of my favorite tracks (particularly hardcore/punk). Maybe some songs are just meant to be heard through a crappy boom-box in a dorm room, or on a worn out cassette in a car stereo. My faves that bring this thought to mind:

Bad Brains - Rock The Light

Minor Threat

Husker Du - Everything Falls Apart

Squirrel Bait - Skag Heaven

Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II

Any thoughts?

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 28
I listen to a lot of local or indie talent, so a few rock bands that come to mind are:

Priestess
Tricky Woo
Illuminati
C'mon
The Bicycles

Not horrible by any means (Gahd, Minor Threat... what terrible, terrible sound), but certainly not good either. But the music itself makes it worthwhile.

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a relative newb, I keep finding flaws in some of my favorite tracks (particularly hardcore/punk). Maybe some songs are just meant to be heard through a crappy boom-box in a dorm room, or on a worn out cassette in a car stereo. My faves that bring this thought to mind:

Minor Threat

Any thoughts?

yeah... all that 80s SST stuff sounds pretty horrendous. and it's a shame that Greg Ginn seems unwilling to release anything for remastering. still, Zen Arcade is made to be cranked, and there's still no other album that gives me quite the same rush when i do (well, except for The Clash).

i just visited my folks a few weeks ago, and dug through my old vinyl collection... all the old Hüsker Dü albums except ZA... Land Speed Record, Metal Circus, New Day Rising and Flip Your Wig... plus the Dead Kennedys' first three albums!

i'm definitely building a new vinyl rig as soon as i have the space!
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 28
Oasis is pretty lo-fi, but I still love them
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 28
Obscure 60s garagepunk bands that were strictly local, often actual teenagers, playing dances, cranking out a single or two and going nowhere...and now you can find them in teenage shutdown and back from the grave comps.I love them
lambda.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 28
Jean-Michel Jarres Music For Supermarkets is only availible as an AM radio broadcast taape recording on mp3. Only 1 CD was ever pressed.

Its good if you can penetrate the awful quality. Luckily for us he recycled a lot of the material in later years.

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 28
Guided by Voices - "Bee Thousand"
Guided by Voices - "Alien Lanes"
Pavement - "Slanted and Enchanted"
The Mountain Goats - "All Hail West Texas"
Dinosaur Jr. - "You're Living All Over Me"

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 28
hey eduj

That stuff looks pretty interesting. Is there any overlap between the compilations you cite, and the Nuggets series by Rhino?

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

hey eduj

That stuff looks pretty interesting. Is there any overlap between the compilations you cite, and the Nuggets series by Rhino?

Overlap no.The bands in the nuggets sets are higher-profile ie not-so-obscure some of them made albums or had a small hit.TS and BFTG comps lean toward the really obscure stuff that might exist on only 3 or 4 known copies of 45's. The songs are generally rawer than the ones in the rhino comps.If you are a beginner in this genre i'd suggest after the nuggets to go for the 5 volume garage beat '66 sets from Sundazed(only 3 songs overlap with the nuggets).And then go for the more obscure bands in the TS/BFTG comps
Also garage beat series has better mastering than nuggets

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man... the MC5.

HORRIBLE sound, but AMAZING music.

lets not forget Stooges-Raw Power

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man... the MC5.

HORRIBLE sound, but AMAZING music.

"kick out the JAAAAMS, motherf**ers!!"

good stuff.
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Minor Threat

I love Husker Du but Land Speed Record might be the worst-recorded official release ever, by anyone-at least in the last 30 years.It sounds like it was recorded on a cassette recorder placed in the garbage can of the men's room of the venue
tongue.gif
I wonder why they chose to release that

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #15 of 28
Tool - Opiate is a painful recording, OMG it is horrible. It seems the poorer the system the better it sounds.
icon10.gif
It is a great album though, would love to see it remastered, but it probably sucks due to equipment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back