Favorite Loreena Mckennitt Song?
Jun 12, 2006 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zle83

100+ Head-Fier
For those of you who listen to this amazing "Folk" artist, what would consider to be her top 5 songs?

My fave would probably be:

Cymbeline
Come by the hills
The lady of shallot
Dante's Prayer
Skellig

These are in no particular order.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoobies
All Soul's Night
Dark Night of the Soul
Cymbeline
Mystic's Dream
The Bonny Swans

No order.

Which album is "Dark Night of the Soul" on?

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 15
Doesn't anyone like Loreena Mckennitt?! She is probably the best female vocalist that I have ever heard!

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille
i gotta go with the song that got me hooked on Loreena: The Mummers' Dance

That is indeed a great song. Haha... just because you reminded me of it I just put it on!
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 15
Odd story. I saw the tv commercial trailer of the movie "ever after" and they played the mummer's dance. I was hooked and could not for the life of me find out what that song was. years later I was downloading random things on napster and boom, there it was. the rest is history.

dark night of the soul is on "the mask and the mirror"

The mummer's dance
All souls night
makkaresh night market
full circle
*Let all that are to mirth inclined (from "To Drive the Cold Winter Away", an album I don't see mentioned much)

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I'm torn between Dante's Prayer, The Highway Man, and The Lady of Shalott.

Since ALL of her songs are at the very least decent, it is hard to pick a top 5. Personally, The Lady of Shalott was my favorite song at first and now I cannot pick a favorite. Dante'sPrayer is amazing.... there is so much detail in that song.... you can tell that her recording studio did a superb job. The Highway man is great but probably falls toward the middle or bottom half of my list.

Jun 14, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 15
Hmm... Prologue and Marco Polo from Book of Secrets. The Old Ways from The Visit. I lost my copy of The Mask and the Mirror some time ago and can't remember which songs were which, but a few from there.

I'd also say that The Book of Secrets as a whole is one of my favorite albums.

Jun 14, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 15
  • The Bonny Swans
  • The Huron fire dance theme from Beltaine
  • The Dark night of the Soul
  • The Mystic's Dream
  • Santiago

I bought Parallel Dreams, The Book of Secrets and The Mask and the Mirror after seeing a PBS special (as a bonus since I bought them direct from Quinlan Road, no money found its way into the grubby paws of the RIAA). They also included the special on DVD as a free feature with each CD.

Jun 17, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 15
I like several of the ones mentioned above, but two of them oddly enough stand out for me.

Dickens' Dublin - I sometimes get a tug on the heartstrings thinking of the little boy/girl who "tells the story"

Snow - this song amazed me. One incident I had involving this: I was working at a job, close to the implementation of new software. The software was NOT recommended by me, and I and one other actually wanted to drop it. Political pressure kept it going. So there I was, doing 14-15 hour days for two straight weeks, doing something I couldn't believe in. I was stressed in a HUGE way, and it was affecting me emotionally and physically.

I came home one night, put on the mini-CD that Snow is on, and shut out the lights. Whe that song ame on, it hit me so hard, I literally had tears rolling down my face. I couldn't stop. Very catharctic moment, and therefore one of my favorite songs.

Sorry for the babbling. I agree she is one of the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back