Favorite Live Band
May 29, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #31 of 52
Melvins
Neurosis circa '91-10 minutes of feedback after every show at Gillman street
Sleep
karp
Guided by Voices (Alien Lanes era)
Pavement
GG Allin (scariest but most exciting show ever)
400 Blows
Jesus Lizard
Slayer
Beastie Boys
( I was 12 years old and a riot broke out. Kids tore the seats apart and were throwing them in the air)
Guns n Roses (they opened for Iron Maiden, Axl sang 2 songs then threw the microphone down and said "F*$% you all!" and walked off. The rest of the band played some stones and thin lizzy covers before apologizing and that was that.)

May 29, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #32 of 52
If it had to be one, Pink Floyd

Top ten All in the 70s

Pink Floyd
Genesis
The Grateful Dead
Led Zeppelin
Santana
Queen
Fleetwood Mac (w/Christie)
CSN&Y
Supertramp
Chicago

May 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #33 of 52
I am seeing Phish at Shoreline amp in August, have seen them before and love them.
Moe is great live too as well as many of the Jambands i listen to but currently, say over the last five or ten years it would have to be String Cheese Incident. Always fun and jammmmmmiiinng!

Actually i am listening to Phish as i write this-"David Bowie" from the Roxy in Atlanta.

If you get a chance to see The Slip, they play in small places and i was impressed by there stage presents for a club size band.--I saw them long ago though.

Eidt- I have seen 6 of the previous posters list too(among many others in the 70's and on.)

May 31, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #35 of 52
I saw the Clash at the Tower Theater (Upper Darby, Pa.) around 1979 or '80. Topper Headon was still functional and they put on an amazing show. The show was structured as an old-fashioned review, with short opening sets by an early, all female punk band called the B-Girls and R&B legend Lee Dorsey. Jamaican dub poet Mikey Dread also did a set, and joined the Clash for their encores. Between sets, a DJ spun a mixture of stuff that I had never heard before. An absolutely head-spinning experience.

The downtown jazz/improv/whatchamacallit group Sex Mob, led by slide-trumpeter Steven Bernstein, would routinely play amazing sets at the sadly defunct Tonic, on Nassau Street in Manhattan.

May 31, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #38 of 52
Historically, my top three concert experiences were (1) Led Zeppelin - "Physical Graffiti Tour" (1975) Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA. (2) Pink Floyd - "Animals Tour" (1976) Spectrum, Philadelphia, and (3) U2 - "ZooTV Tour" (Not positive about the year, (maybe 1992) Veteran's Stadium, Philadelphia. Favorite live act currently, U2 hands down. (Radiohead's "In Rainbows Tour" last year was pretty damn good!) Going to see David Byrne and DeVotchKa this coming Friday at the Mann Center in Philadelphia! Can't wait...I was at that Clash show at The Tower! That was an excellent show!

May 31, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HistoriI was at that Clash show at The Tower! That was an excellent show!

Wow, it is truly a small world, no? I'm wondering: do you remember Joe Strummer launching his Telecaster WAY up in the air at the end of the show, or is that my memory playing tricks on me?

May 31, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, it is truly a small world, no? I'm wondering: do you remember Joe Strummer launching his Telecaster WAY up in the air at the end of the show, or is that my memory playing tricks on me?

Honestly, I don't remember that. The only thing I remember about that show is that with all of the "dancing," I felt like I had run a marathon by the time it was over.

May 31, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Honestly, I don't remember that. The only thing I remember about that show is that with all of the "dancing," I felt like I had run a marathon by the time it was over.

I have way too many of these recollections that I'm sure were great shows. Especially club shows.

May 31, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

That memory could easily be my mind playing tricks on me. There were so many mind-blowing moments in that show. I had never really heard dub before, and Mikey Dread, in his opening set, toasted over HEAVY psychedelic dub. The highlight of the Clash's set for me was definitely "Stay Free."

May 31, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen Yes twice. Once as Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, and once during the "Union" tour, when just about everyone who has ever been in Yes was performing. They were the two most amazing concert experiences ever.

I've seen Yes. Think it was in '77.

May 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #45 of 52
Grateful Dead

The strangest show had to have been Wendy O Williams and the Plasmatics at the Stone Pony. What a night....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back