Favorite Live Band
May 22, 2009 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

ksween93

100+ Head-Fier
As you can probably tell by my avatar, my favorite live band is Phish.

May 22, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 52
have seen Phish live many times , always fun and intense a musical experience ...
Moe is not too bad either live ...
Sound Tribe Sector 9 does some interesting things ...
Lotus can be good ...
Widespread Panic has a great sound live ...

May 22, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 52
Yes, Phish definitely used to put on some great shows. But for me, when they came out with the album "Free" they really went downhill fast.

I think another great live band is the Flaming Lips. Definitely worth checking out.

Another band that plays really well live is Opeth.

May 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 52
Of all the bands I've seen live there are two that were night and day compared to their studio works: Pantera and Slipknot.

Honorable mentions:

CSN&Y: Neil Young was brilliant playing his solo works on the organ, stole the show from his peers.

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (Target Center): Totally infectious live experience playing the greatest of Zep (Tangerine et al no Stairway, 2 1/2 hours or so).

Ray Charles: The professional, just watching him play you knew he loved music.

Aerosmith: Tyler has so much energy running back and forth across the stage during a 2+ hour set it's hard to believe he's not in his 20s. Joe Perry perfectly laying down the riffs under one of the best light shows I've seen. Great part was they played mostly classics (Back in the Saddle, Walk the Line, Last Child et al).

Tool: My favorite metal band finally saw them during 10,000 days tour. Did not disappoint whatsoever. Danny's drumwork is even more appreciable while watching him live.

May 23, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moe is not too bad either live ...

I haven't really listened to much moe even though I do listen to quite a bit of jam band.

Allman Brothers Band puts on a great live show as well, especially with Warren Haynes and Derreck Trucks on guitar.

May 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permagrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tool: My favorite metal band finally saw them during 10,000 days tour. Did not disappoint whatsoever. Danny's drumwork is even more appreciable while watching him live.

I don't know why, but even as a drummer, I'm not too fond of Danny Carey. I can appreciate his technical abilities, but he just doesn't have the kind of feel I like from prog drummers like Gavin Harrison or Bill Bruford (despite the fact that the music they play is worlds apart).

May 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #8 of 52
Many really, but I like Jewel with just her guitar, Art Garfunkel singing Bridge over trouble water live (as good as ever!), Shakira's wicked dancing & entertaining show, and Tori Amos isn't bad either.

May 23, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 52
Rush
Peter Gabriel
David Bowie
U2

Best live performances I've seen more than once.

Who I'd like to see:

NIN
Prince
Muse

May 23, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dead Can Dance is the best I have ever seen live.

I would have loved to see them live.

May 24, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 52
Journey - lots of energy and great musicianship

Marc Cohn - His shows always include some element of surprise. I've seen him four times and each show was memorable for its uniqueness.

Richard Marx - His level of intimacy with his audiences is unmatched. I've seen him live twice, and both times it felt almost as if he was performing a private concert in my living room. I've never seen anyone else that can achieve that effect. Also, based on the way he speaks with the audience during his performances, he seems to be a genuine and down-to-earth guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back