Favorite Live Albums
Mar 3, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #61 of 77
I really like Tito Puente and his Golden Latin Jazz All Stars in "Live at the Village Gate (1992)."

During his long career, Tito Puente recorded over 120 CDs. So it is hard to pick out his best recordings. However, "Live at the Village Gate" is easily Puente's best live performance! It also a very well recorded CD. Highly recommended! A+!

Latin Jazz All Star Musicians...

Tito Puente--Timbales and Vibes.
Hilton Ruiz--Piano.
Mongo Santamaria--Congas.
Giovanni Hidalgo--Congas, Bongos and Chekere.
Ignacio Berroa--Drums.
Paquito D'Rivera--Alto Saxophone.
Dave Valentin--Flute.
Claudio Roditi--Trumpet.
Andy Gonzalez--Bass.
Mario Rivera--Soprano Saxophone.

Mar 3, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #62 of 77
Santana Supernatural is pretty nice too. But in order to get the live version, you have to copy the DVD audio to MD.

Mar 4, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #64 of 77
Great thread!
Aside from the Johnny Cash Live at Folsum Prison, I have to say Widespread Panic's Light Fuse... Get Away! Possibly the best recording of a live performance every... a great mix of soundboard accuracy and audience energy!
Bobes

Mar 4, 2003 at 1:25 PM Post #65 of 77
I forgot a great one Joe Jackson "Big World" It's a "live" album recorded in a studio. The musicians played all the tracks through as if it were a concert, but you it's hard not to believe it isn't a studio album. Fantastic recording. Great musicianship.

Mar 4, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
I forgot a great one Joe Jackson "Big World" It's a "live" album recorded in a studio. The musicians played all the tracks through as if it were a concert, but you it's hard not to believe it isn't a studio album.

It is a studio album, not a live album. There are many examples of musicians or bands that recorded studio albums that way. Rush recorded several of their early albums that way. It's impressive, to be sure, but I don't think it's reasonable to say it isn't a studio album if it's recorded in a studio.

Mar 4, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #67 of 77
Well, it was Joe Jackson working with a group of muscians and his arrangements tackling the challenge of the "live" recording of an entire album without overdubs -- in one take. I'm sure Rush only recorded their albums that way because they had spent the last ten years at bars doing the same set list and would otherwise get confused.

Mar 5, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #69 of 77
Quote:

Well, it was Joe Jackson working with a group of muscians and his arrangements tackling the challenge of the "live" recording of an entire album without overdubs -- in one take. I'm sure Rush only recorded their albums that way because they had spent the last ten years at bars doing the same set list and would otherwise get confused.

You clearly know nothing about Rush. They wrote the songs they recorded on those studio albums in the days and weeks prior to and while they were in the studio. They worked at getting the songs right in rehearsals and then would try laying down the tracks in a single take, with no overdubs. They didn't record the whole album in a single session, but individual tracks were indeed "live" performances, as you've defined "live."

Besides, the albums they recorded this way were all early albums. It wasn't until they already had six or seven albums recorded that way and they got a new producer that they started doing it a more traditional way, with multiple passes, etc.

As far as live performances go, there are few bands that can play out as well as Rush does. They're fine musicians, all.

I didn't insult Joe Jackson. What was your point in insulting Rush?

Mar 5, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #70 of 77
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult Rush. It's just whenever I hear that brand of rock I think of a bar band.

Mar 5, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult Rush. It's just whenever I hear that brand of rock I think of a bar band.

I saw Rush this past summer. We had great seats (my brother was touring with them...doing special effects), and they kicked butt. They are very talented musicians, regardless of anyone's feelings re) their type of music.

Mar 5, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #73 of 77
I had forgotten about Dire Straits Alchemy. Great album, I think I'll break it out right now.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 7:14 AM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by kaervin
I would second Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" Saw them touring in support of that albumn just before Lowell died! Great band and album!

I gotta throw down on this one also, very very high on my all time list. I also caught them on that tour at the Santa Monica Civic. Last show before they headed for Japan. Absolutely fantabulous.

I'll add Swiss Movement - Les McCann & Eddie Harris w/Benny Bailey Live at Montreaux late 60's.

I also really like DMB's Listener Supported. Great DVD too.

Mar 6, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #75 of 77
Here are some of my faves:

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over. I can't believe that nobody mentioned this? I'm sure we all have it.

The Who - Live at Leeds. This is how a live concert should be.

Jackson Brown - Running On Empty. Sublime sounds, just excellent for listening to on that roadtrip.

Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels - Live 1973. Perhaps not the best sonics but one of the very few live recording of Gram and Emmylou singing their world famous duets.

The Band - The Last Waltz. What can I say. Four CDs of one the world finest IMHO bands. I wanna get the DVD of this to go with my boxset.

Cowboy Junkies - The radio one sessions. A live set from the masters of cool laid back music. Sublime sounds from the Margo et al.

Trish Murphy - Captured. A little like Sheryl Crow but better looking, better songwriter, better guitar player and a better singer!

Alison Krauss & Union Station - Live. Wonderful uplifiting bluegrass sound from one the masters.

Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt & Guy Clark. At the Bluebird Cafe. Three of the worlds best songwriters live featuring the late great Townes.

10,000 Maniacs - MTV unplugged. Fine introduction to the sounds of the Maniacs.

VH1 Storytellers - Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson. Just two guitars, two stools and Willie & Johnny.

VH1 Storytellers - Billy Idol. Wonderful live set with guest Stella Soleil

Natalie Merchant - Live in concert. The unimitable Nat Merchant doing what she does best. A memerising album of great wonder and beauty.

Queen - Live at Wembley 1986. Freddie owned the stage! There are few frontmen who can match upto Freddue Mercury IMHO. He is still sadly missed here.

Pink Floyd - Pulse. The Floyd put up an amazing show. I have this on Vinyl and it's most excellent.

Kris Kristoferson - Austin Sessions. Miss this one at your peril! All the songs that you know and love.

Brian May band - Live at Brixton Academy. Live standards from his years with Queen with some tracks from his solo carreer. A very distinctive sound from Brian May's guitar and the drumming of the late Cozy Powell.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From The Road. The live southern rock sound of Ronnie Van Zandt captured for ever on CD. Does rock get much better than this?

Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Session. A hauntingly beautiful sound.

Michelle Shocked - The Texas campfire tapes. Debut album from Michelle. An amazing sound of just her, her guitar and a fieldfull of cicadas. It was recorded on a Sony WM6? Professional Walkman at an outdoor concert in Texas back in 1986 and still sound phenomenal.

I could probably think of a lot more given time but these are live albums that immediately spring to mind
biggrin.gif

Sound As Ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back