Favorite Jazz Vocalists
Jun 4, 2004 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
I've started listening to some Billie Holiday and was wondering what Jazz voaclists everyone enjoys, and is well recorded.

Scott

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 12
My favorites, in no particular order:
  1. Tim Hauser, Janis Siegel, Alan Paul and Cheryl Bentyne. Also known as The Manhattan Transfer
  2. Ella Fitzgerald
  3. Sarah Vaughn
  4. Mel Torme
  5. Esther Satterfield
  6. Lena Horne
  7. Billie Holliday
  8. Patricia Barber

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks JMT,

Actually if you have recommendations of good discs for these artists for a "newb" that would be a great help as well (maybe good complilations of their work).

Scott

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 12
Here are a few to start off

Holly Cole - "Don't Smoke in Bed", "Temptation"

Diana Krall - "All for You", "Live in Paris", "Only Trust Your Heart"

Billie Holiday - "Portrait" 10 CD set

Sade - "Paradise", "Jezebel"

Miles Davis - "Blue Miles", "Amandla"

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Thanks JMT,

Actually if you have recommendations of good discs for these artists for a "newb" that would be a great help as well (maybe good complilations of their work).

Scott

Manhattan Transfer:
- The Very Best of the Manhattan Transfer
- The Offbeat of Avenues
- Soul Food to Go

Ella Fitzgerald
- Ella and Louis (1956)
- Ella and Basie (1963)
- Fitzgerald and Pass....Again (1976)

Mel Torme
- The Great American Songbook
- Jazz 'Round Midnight

Patricia Barber
- Nightclub
- Companion

Jun 5, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 12
JMT,

Much appreciated!
icon10.gif

Scottg

Jun 5, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Patricia Barber - "Nightclub" - Patricia's "Killer" voice and persona (packaged, BTW, in a music-geek body, complete with black horn-rim glasses) doing standards, reaching deep within to give these venerable numbers a "personal best" performance.

Holly Cole - "Temptation" - Holly's "road less travelled" take on a number of Tom Waits songs. There's a very coherent and intimate sonic stage and performer-listener rapport established in these tracks.

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks all for the great recommendations, since a few of you mentioned Patricia Barber, I picked up "Nightclub", it's quite good, I also picked up Mary Stallings - Live at the Village Vanguard, I highly recommend it!

Thanks again, I always love discovering new music.....now to hunt down some Ella.

Scott

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Depending on how much you want to spend on Ella, the 16-CD "The Complete Ella Fitzgerald Song Books" box set is marvelous. If that's out of your price range
wink.gif
, there are also 3 "Best of the Song Books" CDs that would make a nice Ella starter set.

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchyfrog
Depending on how much you want to spend on Ella, the 16-CD "The Complete Ella Fitzgerald Song Books" box set is marvelous. If that's out of your price range
wink.gif
, there are also 3 "Best of the Song Books" CDs that would make a nice Ella starter set.

I may look into those Best of CDs before I dive in, that box set isn't cheap (though I see it gets rave reviews)

Jun 14, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 12
A vote for Natalie Cole... unforgetable, a great album.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back