Favorite IEMs under $175.00?
May 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MonteM

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am currently engaged in a thread on best on-ear headphones under $200.00. People are very helpful and I've tried three or four, but it's becoming clear to me that for what I'm looking for, I'll have to increase the budget, and I really can't go much higher than the $150.00 range.

So I'm headed back to IEMs and I thought I would ask advice on best IEMs under $175.00, ideally closer to the $125.00 to $150.00 range. There are a few threads out there on this topic but a) not that recent, and b) I thought it might be useful to give you a sense of what I am looking for, rather than just ask for "best" without that context.

As I note in the other thread, the ideal sound for me would be:

wide sound stage, to avoid that feeling of the sound closing in on me; clear and crisp and dynamic sound across the spectrum - this is really important; a good balanced sound, one that is detailed but also warm, so that the bass is not overpowering but definitely felt, and the highs come through clearly but not in a way that is disturbing; and a powerful enough performance so that you can really feel and appreciate the sound. I should add, it would be good to maintain the high level of sound at both low and high volumes (as well as in between of course).

I've also noticed that older recordings tend never to do as well regardless of the phone, so any thoughts on that are appreciated. I generally listen without an amp, and some level of noise isolation (if not cancellation) is important, as I do most of my listening on long and noisy commutes, and on planes.

So I'm not a basshead, and I'm not as concerned with features and whether or not it has a wire, as I am with sound. I am currently using Audio Technicas from about 6 years ago, and I am sure I can do better. I am ready to spend more because I want this to be a really sound investment that I'll enjoy for years to come. But I do have a budget.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Monte

May 29, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 16
Hello all,

I am currently engaged in a thread on best on-ear headphones under $200.00. People are very helpful and I've tried three or four, but it's becoming clear to me that for what I'm looking for, I'll have to increase the budget, and I really can't go much higher than the $150.00 range.

So I'm headed back to IEMs and I thought I would ask advice on best IEMs under $175.00, ideally closer to the $125.00 to $150.00 range. There are a few threads out there on this topic but a) not that recent, and b) I thought it might be useful to give you a sense of what I am looking for, rather than just ask for "best" without that context.

As I note in the other thread, the ideal sound for me would be:

wide sound stage, to avoid that feeling of the sound closing in on me; clear and crisp and dynamic sound across the spectrum - this is really important; a good balanced sound, one that is detailed but also warm, so that the bass is not overpowering but definitely felt, and the highs come through clearly but not in a way that is disturbing; and a powerful enough performance so that you can really feel and appreciate the sound. I should add, it would be good to maintain the high level of sound at both low and high volumes (as well as in between of course).

That's an extremely tall order for your budget. Wide soundstage (which is even more problematic when you have the bore through which the sound goes from the drivers jammed into your eardrums, unlike headphones that sit outside, and sometimes at a toe-in angle relative to the ears), balanced and detailed (at both ends, which means extended and flat response at either end of the range), tough drivers and high sensitivity (for use with your phone and so it "maintains the high level of sound," ie, distortion is less of a problem, when cranked up, otherwise you need an amp; let alone one with drivers so tough that high output playback doesn't involve audible driver distortion) will not be in a single transducer system design for that kind of money.

Hell, even for $500 original MSRP headphones you can't get all that. You can get a K701 with a wide soundstage, but the low end trails off early, and the sensitivity is relatively low; or an HD650 with high impedance and minimal driver distortion but you need a bit of voltage performance from the amp, just less power in watts compared to the K701 as it has a higher sensitivity to compensate; or a HiFiMan HE400x/Sundara which has very low driver distortion, extended on either end, flat from 10hz to 1000hz, but still has lower sensitivity and some versions have a dip in the midrange response.

At best go for most of your other requirements then use a DSP to make for a slightly more 3D soundstage. If you use a smartphone check what it can do, like Samsung's tube amp and 'surround' (actually more like "good headphone imaging simulation") DSP.

I've also noticed that older recordings tend never to do as well regardless of the phone, so any thoughts on that are appreciated. I generally listen without an amp, and some level of noise isolation (if not cancellation) is important, as I do most of my listening on long and noisy commutes, and on planes.

Either those are from bad mastering copies, or if they're ripped, probably at too high compression levels.

May 29, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 16
iBasso IT01 for soundstage and bass.

Campfire Comets for a more balanced sound signature but average soundstage.

May 30, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 16
Thank you everyone for these informative thoughts.

I'll give a look at the Campfires and the ibasso IT01s.

Regarding the ibassos, I should note that I am not a basshead by any means, I just like a strong bass that I can feel and enjoy in the context of an overall balanced presentation.

May 30, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 16

Regarding the ibassos, I should note that I am not a basshead by any means, I just like a strong bass that I can feel and enjoy in the context of an overall balanced presentation.

The IT01 will work for you then. There's really no veil on the vocals or treble.

May 30, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 16

Regarding the iBassos, I should note that I am not a basshead by any means, I just like a strong bass that I can feel and enjoy in the context of an overall balanced presentation.
I would say the IT01 is definitely not a basshead IEM, though it does have solid bass. It is nothing like a serious basshead IEM would be. The overall presentation is really more v-shaped without the highs being sibilant. Mids are not stepped on. It sounds very good with excellent detail and separation and a very nice stage that far outperforms its price-point. Some thoughts on the IT01. FWIW. Of course, YMMV.

May 30, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 16
I really like ibasso iT01, nice sound and fit, the iT03 had fitting issues, they wouldnt stay in my ears, it was due to the cable that came with them.

The iT01 cable is excellent though and is what I use on the iT03s

IT01 def is not bass heavy, V shaped as per the above post, however they are enjoyable.

May 30, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 16
I would say the IT01 is definitely not a basshead IEM, though it does have solid bass. It is nothing like a serious basshead IEM would be. The overall presentation is really more v-shaped without the highs being sibilant. Mids are not stepped on. It sounds very good with excellent detail and separation and a very nice stage that far outperforms its price-point. Some thoughts on the IT01. FWIW. Of course, YMMV.

That sounds close to exactly what I am looking for, though perhaps not too V shaped. But it sounds just right. Thank you!

I am also consider the FiioF9 Pro if you have any thoughts on that relative to the iBasso...but I don't plan to drag this out forever.

Thank you again!

May 30, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 16
That sounds close to exactly what I am looking for, though perhaps not too V shaped. But it sounds just right. Thank you!

I am also consider the FiioF9 Pro if you have any thoughts on that relative to the iBasso...but I don't plan to drag this out forever.

Thank you again!
The F9 Pro is much, much more bright than the IT01--too bright for many people. It is well made, it just is too bright for me. ---(

May 31, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 16
I think you will be happy with them.

I'm already happy! They seem just right.

Now on to my next holy grail. I tried a number of on-ear phones but none of them were quite right. The Audio-Technicas had (in my opinion) the best sound, but the only one that significantly reduced noise around me - a requirement, as I mainly listen when I commute or on planes - was the AKG, which had active (as opposed to passive) noise canceling. But I wasn't happy with the sound signature overall. The mids were too recessed and the overall sound was just too bland (and I'm a neutral signature guy...). So I'd like to see if I can find OVER EAR phones that are still relatively portable, fairly sleek in appearance, with ANC. But that's for another thread...another day...

Thank to all. I'll report back on how the ibassos turn out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back