Favorite Classical Concerto
Feb 6, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster_Omelette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm biased to Prokofiev for some strange reason:

Piano: Brahms #1 - Brendel w/ Abbado & Berlin Phil.
Violin: Prokofiev #2 - Vengerov w/ Slava & LSO
Cello: Prokofiev Sinfonia Concertante - Mørk w/ Jarvi & City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

Your Prokofiev bias is a good one
smily_headphones1.gif

I also like Mutter on the Violin Concertos. Argerich does a hot Third Piano Concerto. And Slava on Sinfonia is awe-inspiring. On his DVD video tempos are simply insane.

I don't know the Mørk recording but knowing his playing I'm sure it's fantastic.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #34 of 63
Prokofiev's violin concertos are really good indeed. I am very fond of his 2nd Piano Concerto too.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #36 of 63
Piano: Lou Harrison's, Paul Schoenfield's, Shostakovich's #2, Prokofiev #3Busoni's, Martinu's Toccata e due canzoni

Violin: Shostakovich #1, Stravinsky's Concerto in D, Bernstein's Serenade

Cello: Shostakovich (the famous one of the two!), Elgar's

Also recommended: Martinu's for String Quartet and Orchestra, Tippett's Triple Concerto, Piazolla's for Bandoneon, Vaughan Williams's for Oboe and Strings, Hindemith's for viola d'amore

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #37 of 63
I'm in love with Alkan's Concerto for Solo Piano, or at Yourmusic.com for $7.00. It's also on the incredible Jack Gibbons CD that is available on emusic, but is back ordered on amazon.

This is totally insane piano piece, and it hurts my fingers just hearing it.
eek.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #39 of 63
My personal favorites are:

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons with Salvatore Accardo
Spring is played on the Stradivari of 1715 "Il Cremonese"
Summer is played on an instrument of 1727 "ex-Reynier"
Autumn is played on a violin of 1718 "Firebird"
Winter is played on a violin of 1727 "Hart"

Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenberg Concertos 1-6 with the Munchner Bach Orhestra led by Karl Richter

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #41 of 63
Hey there.

For me, for piano its a tossup between the Brahms 2nd and the Rachmaninov 2nd. If I absoutely had to choose on this matter, I'd go with the Brahms most days.

For violin, it's still a tough question.......I'd probably go with the Sibelius, though I do love the Tchaikovsky.

For Cello, that's easy......Elgar.

I have to mention the Mozart Clarinet Concerto as well.

May 26, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #43 of 63
beethoven's piano concerto no. 4

specifically, it is this part that i find to be the most majestic. i am spellbound each time i listen to it.

May 26, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #44 of 63
There is a small intermission song, called "meditations" from the Prince of "Thais", written by Jules Massenet, but its been pulled out of the play and performed as a piece separately as a violin concerto possibly?

I also agree, Rachmaninov's 2nd and 3rd symphonies are really great.

Gershwin's Concerto in F for piano is also pretty good, theres 3 parts to it. Has a resemblence to the jollility and staccato-ness of rhapsody in blue but not as swingy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back