Favorite Classical Concerto
Jan 18, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 63
Some of my favorites:
Mozart - Clarinet Concerto (Hoeprich) and Piano Concerto 17 (Levin)
Bach - D minor Harpsichord Concerto (Rousset), Double Violin Concerto (Manze)
Berg - Violin Concerto (Mutter)
Beethoven - Piano Concerto 4 (Aimard) and Violin Concerto (Zehetmair)
Nielsen - Clarinet Concerto (Frost)

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #17 of 63
Bartok's Piano Concertos

1st piano concerto - Rattle/Donahue
2nd piano concerto - Fricsay/Anda
3rd Paino Concerto - Fricsay/Anda

these are absolute faves

among others

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #18 of 63
I've really been digging Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto lately, but my joint all-time favourites are Tchaikovsky 1st Piano Concerto, Sibelius Violin Concerto and Elgar Cello Concerto.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #19 of 63
hi
smily_headphones1.gif

favorite piano concertos are rachmaninov 2nd, grieg and beethoven's emperor concerto.

favorite violin concertos: sibelius, beethoven

HL

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #21 of 63
Difficult one!
Shostakovich Violin op. 99 performed by Lydia Mordkovitch, SNO/ Neeme Jarvi is a gem.
Brahms' 1st pi
[size=x-small]ano performed by Pollini * the Berlin Phil/Claudio Abbado.
Too many cello pieces to mention.... Dvorak / Jacqueline du Pre/
[/size][size=x-small]Sergiu Celibidache, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra
how's that?
[/size]

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #24 of 63
Just got back an hour ago from hearing the Chicago SO/Han-Na Chang perform the Shostakovich Cello 2, Antonio Pappano conducting......I found it to be one of those pieces that I loved live, but can't imagine finding it particularly attractive recorded....does that make sense?

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #25 of 63
Yes, it does. That's about the only way I enjoy Prokofieff piano concerti 2, 4, 5, just to name three. Part of the thrill of a concerto is to see if the soloist can actually do it live: without edits and retakes. Makes perfect sense. What else was on the program?

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it does. That's about the only way I enjoy Prokofieff piano concerti 2, 4, 5, just to name three. Part of the thrill of a concerto is to see if the soloist can actually do it live: without edits and retakes. Makes perfect sense. What else was on the program?

Sorry that this is getting OT, but since you asked........

Liadov - The Enchanted Lake
Rachmaninov - Symphony No. 2

I had to make it there this weekend, for Rach 2 is my favorite Romantic symphony (the one that I, as a non-musician, can sing to myself in my head the whole way through...again, does that make sense?)

It was to die for.....hard to express how Pappano managed to incorporate bits of every version I'd heard on record.....sweet but not syrupy, allowed the brass to shine in the second movement.......the third made my eyes well up, along with the folks next to me.....and Pappano took the final movement faster, I think, than on all recordings I've heard, but the absolute joy shone through without fail. Beauty beyond words....I consider myself very lucky to live in the area and be able to attend CSO concerts.

This also probably seems strange, but the hit in the second movement was just sublime......it had that "one big instrument tone" more than any I'd ever heard.

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry that this is getting OT, but since you asked........

Liadov - The Enchanted Lake
Rachmaninov - Symphony No. 2

I had to make it there this weekend, for Rach 2 is my favorite Romantic symphony (the one that I, as a non-musician, can sing to myself in my head the whole way through...again, does that make sense?)

I'm very surprised when you mentioned that. I tend to do a lot of "auto memorization" when I particularly like a piece with good melodies. However, the Rachmaninov Symphony #2 hasn't been one of those pieces for me yet. I'm going to go back and take a couple good listens at it and get back to you.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #29 of 63
Mozart's piano concerto 17 - Perahia

Regards,

L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back