Favorite christmas Movies?
Dec 25, 2003 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
We have a few movies that are a tradition to watch on or around Christmas at our house.

A Christmas Story
Scrooged
Trading Places
It's a Wonderful Life
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

You guys have some seasonal favorites?

Dec 25, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 16
I think "A Christmas Carol" goes at the top of the list, but only with Alisdair Sims as Scrooge. The other versions suck in comparison.

Dec 25, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 16
The classic for me (childhood-wise) is A Christmas Story. TNT of course kind of bastardized it by running it continuosly for 24 hours on Christmas Day, but oh well.

I also like the stop-motion Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. It was also a childhood classic, but if you watch it as an adult you may pick up some interesting bits you missed as a child. For example... the sheer weirdness of the abominable snowman and his need for braces. Or the fact that Santa is a slavedriver to his elves, and is totally embittered and has no emotion at all. Favorite quote:

Elves: (cheerfully) Santa, we wrote you a song this Christmas!
Santa: (monotone) That's great. I'll be in my room. Santa exits quickly, and I can only imagine he disappears to drink away what little empathy he might have left.

Otherwise, Scrooged is pretty good, as is Trading Places. It seems that a lot of my favorites stem from the 80's, perhaps an indication of when my childhood and fondest memories of Christmas took place.

Dec 25, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I think "A Christmas Carol" goes at the top of the list, but only with Alisdair Sims as Scrooge. The other versions suck in comparison.

I sat and watched that with my mother on Christmas Eve. It's her favourite christmas movie.

I really don't spend enough time with her so I thought i'd get that video down of the shelf and spend an hour so sitting with her watching it.

For the past 10 years or so i've always been working over Christmas and New Year so it's a real change for me to have some time of this year.... even if I am suspended from work
frown.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 16
I just finished watching Aliens. That's a Christmas movie, right?

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 16
Now I love Christmas Story but I got kind of a weird feeling about it after one particular incident.

I was at a party being thrown by Maxim Magazine about 5 years ago. There were babes aplenty there but I happened to be there accompanying this amazing blonde. Anyway, the dude who plays "Ralphie" (Peter Billingsley) in a Christmas Story was there as well. He was 29 years old and was a segment producer for the now-defunct X Show on the FX Network. Man, he was dogging my girl all night at that party - telling her he'd have on the show and how he'd get her in front of all these other producers, blah, blah, blah. I let him talk fo a while but eventually got tired of his rap and we moved on. He came on like some desperate creep trying to use his past fame to get laid. What made it even more distrurbing is that he looked exactly the same as he did in the movie (sans only the glasses).

I can never watch that movie without thinking of how Ralphie turned out. The Old Man wouldn't have been proud.

Dec 27, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman

For the past 10 years or so i've always been working over Christmas and New Year so it's a real change for me to have some time of this year.... even if I am suspended from work
frown.gif

I hope it made you feel better, Mick, and that you're back to work soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back