Favorite Canadian Albums from 2007
Aug 30, 2007 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

HiFiRE

100+ Head-Fier
There are quite a few Canucks on this forum and I'd like to exploit this fact. Unfortunately I'm not very connected to my own local music scene. It would be great to about what treasures others have found up in Canada.

One of my favorites from this year would have to be "The End - Elementary". See their last.fm page here.

So what are your favorite Canadian albums from this year?

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 32
Feist - The Reminder.

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 32
The Tragically Hip - World Container. I think it actually came out in Canada in '06 but we didn't get it here until March so...

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 32
Might be a 2006, but Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood comes to mind right away. There are some good CBC podcasts for Canadian indie too.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 32
Shed My Sin - Dean McTaggart

http://www.deanmctaggart.com/welcome.htm

Dean McTaggart was one of the first performers I ever saw play live. We grew up in the same small town and eventually attended the same high school, but starting around 1967, when I was only 13 and he was 15 or 16, I used to watch his band play in town at the weekly Church basement dances. He was a local rock star celebrity to myself and my peers. It was obvious even back then that he had exceptional talent. Until a few months ago, the last time I saw him, shortly after high school ended, he was working as a truck driver/shipper at a small industrial supply company.

Fast forward 35 years later and I discovered that he had not only given up truck driving shortly after I last spoke with him, but had gotten back into music in a big way and had enjoyed commercial success in the 80's with a band called the "Arrows" who had a sizable hit entitled "Talk Talk". A decade or so after that, after spending some time in Memphis and moving more towards a country rock genre ( not really as his style spans R&B, Soul, gospel, country, and rock ), he wound up having considerable success, not as a performer but as a writer, penning several Juno Award nominated songs for Amanda Marshall's introductory hit album in 1995. In fact, he wrote all the songs on that album that became international hits ... Birmingham, Last Exit To Eden, and Dark Horse.

I contacted him and went out to see him play live again ( which was quite a nostalgic experience since it had been nearly 40 years since I last saw him on stage ), and he's still got it. I'm not sure whether or not it's because of the fact that I know him and the fact that he invokes the nostalgia of my youth, but I think his songwriting is incredible. If you have a wide range of musical tastes, and lyrics are important to you, you'd probably enjoy his latest album, "Shed My Sin". It shows a depth of style that many performers simply don't have.

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 32
Have to be the new one from Dan Snaith, Andorra by Caribou, although technically I believe he's living in London now.

Anyway, this is one I can play over and over all day. Kind of a mix of psychedelic pop rock and electronics. Very nice. Here's a bit from the The Passion of Weiss blog ...

... But for all the stoned hippie blather and contrived mythology, 1967 did produce some great music: The Doors' first record, Younger than Yesterday, Surrealistic Pillow, The Velvet Underground & Nico, The Grateful Dead, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Are You Experienced, Something Else by the Kinks, Disraeli Gears, Forever Changes, The Who Sell Out, and yeah, that Pepper Club Band thing. It almost makes you want to be an ex-hippy with a graying ponytail, an "organic foods," fixation, an "eco-friendly" business approach and the nickname Munchie (or Seth).

Dan Snaith, the mastermind behind Caribou does not seem like a hippie. He has short hair, a Mathematics PhD and he's from Canada. Canada doesn't have hippies they have elk (and probably caribou). But sonically, Snaith updates the sound of '67, creating songs as blindingly bright as the album cover's yellow tulips, producing nine lush tracks, ideal for the sun-scorched summer.

Unlike most psychedelic rock, a palpable sadness permeates Andorra, in a way that reminds me of Forever Changes in its sense of loss and uncertainty. Andorra is a break-up record, a stumble through a tragic world filled with clouds of swirling rainbow smoke. A love-lorn Snaith devotes half the songs to girls with matronly names like, "Melody Day," "Sandi,""Desiree" and "Irene." The latter song being largely an instrumental with a few lyrics that describe the peril of dating a woman with an unattractive name like Irene. (The B-Side, "Gertrude." is even more brutal.")

Like Milk of Human Kindness and Up in Flames (recorded under the Manitoba moniker), Andorra is drugged, disoriented and ultimately dazzling. While it may not fully stack up against the best stuff made 40 years ago, it's certainly close. And even if it doesn't receive instant canonization (because it's not part of "the revolution, man,") it remains a powerful and beautiful work of art. The ideal soundtrack for the thinking man's stoner after he's just lost his woman (or his bong).

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLordThyGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Although I didn't find them in Canada and they are probably more well known here. But they are from Montreal so it qualifies right?

Word, freaking brilliant album

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Feist - The Reminder.

Second that and I'll add Tegan & Sara - The Con

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second that and I'll add Tegan & Sara - The Con

I really can't get into the new Tegan & Sara -- to me it just seems over/poorly produced. I really like So Jealous and If It Was You, though! Maybe I'll give The Con another listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back