Favorite C64 games?
Feb 2, 2002 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
I always get teary-eyed when thinking about that little box. *sniffle*

Trekking to Babbage's Software in Northpark to see the latest titles was always a thrill... but it was nothing compared to spending weeks grabbing the latest warez off the BBS's!

Here are the ones I remember (at least right now):

Adventure Construction Set
Archon I and II
Beach Head I and II
Bruce Lee
California Games
Defender of the Crown
Elite
Jumpman
Karateka
Lode Runner
Lords of Conquest
M.U.L.E.
Mail Order Monsters
Mission Impossible
Racing Destruction Set
Raid Over Moscow
Seven Cities of Gold
Ultima II and III
Wizard

So much quality, so little time. (sigh) We had built-in graphics, a sound card, RAM, CPU, and motherboard. It booted up in 1/8 of a second. No huge beige boxes, either.... the whole shabang was contained in the keyboard.

During this renaissance period, the 75-pound IBM PC was proud of it's CGA graphics, 8088 processor, and $3500 price tag.

Have we really evolved, comparatively speaking?

C64. Gone but not forgotten. *sniffle*

http://www.lemon64.com
http://www.c64.com
http://cia.c64.org

Feb 2, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 15
Pool of Radiance - even though it felt like a windows install (switching between 8 floppy sides.)

Jump Man

Summer Games

Winter Games - love that hotdog!

S.A.M. - making the computer recite swear words was great!

Donkey Kong + Mario Bros.

- played Defender of the Crown on the emu.: very ahead of its time!!!

Feb 2, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 15
Bah... most of these games were better on the Atari 800.
smily_headphones1.gif

Boulder Dash rocked, though. I played a good bit of that on the 64.

Kelly

Feb 3, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 15
Wizard of Wor, Blue Max, Castles of Dr. Creep, Space Taxi, Wizball, Parallax, Quest for Tires, Castle Wolfenstein...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Did I mention that I've got an SX-64, a few months ago?

Feb 3, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by lini

P.S.: Did I mention that I've got an SX-64, a few months ago?

mhh. rings a bell somehow. was that the portable one?

(i loved space taxi, too and the cave man from quest for tires was truly classic)

Feb 3, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 15
legoman: Yes, that's the portable version, but I've got two regular ones and a C128, too.
biggrin.gif

lini

Feb 3, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 15
I have over 800 c64 games here. all on the old 5.x inches floppies with holes I made to make the floppies DOUBLE sided
wink.gif

They all in my basement right now. with the still working C64 also the later ver amiga 128.

There are a lot of games,, too many to list.

Anyoen remember the * FASTLOAD* cartidge that you plug in to increase the game load speed ? hehe I still have it ! have TWO !

I remember my friends and my brother playing the EPXY sports games...

Summer games, winter games, california games, getting blisters doing the fast up/down, right/left or button smashing to make our ingame character run faster or just longer.. funniest thing lol.
We even played for money... like 50 cents per race hehe
cool.gif

Defender of the Crown = AN AWESOME game at its time. I was playing it all day EVERYDAY. I was quite good at the ( what is that event called...on the tip of my tongue..) on horses and try to knock off opponent to win the competition. I used to do that all the time to get enemy territories.

Those were some fun days.. this thread makes me want to go downthere and power it up. but I am lazy hehehe..

Tides

Feb 3, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 15
Ah, jousting on DoC. Yes, I've got the hang of it now.

One other game I forgot to mention in addition to all these greats: Fight Night. I used to play that till my eyes dried out!

Feb 3, 2002 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 15
Defender of the Crown was a wonderful game. I played it on my PC clone with the 4 colors, hehe.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also played Archon and Lode Runner on the PC. Great games. The only C64 game I've played is M.U.L.E. What an addicting game that is. It's got to be one of the best games ever. My favorite game from that era:

Star Raiders on the Atari 400/800.

Thank goodness for emulators or I may not have forgiven my parents for selling my Atari 400 + game collection in a garage sale while I was living in Venezuela. I also miss my green 9V battery eating Mattel Football II handheld. Don't miss it enough to buy one from ebay though.

Feb 3, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 15
I programmed my first stuff with a Commodore PET with casette tapes. At the end of my C 64 days things got pretty fancy, with GEOS and actually a mouse.

Even cooler than the floppies/tapes were the cartridges, especially Commodore Soccer. If you compare that to the awesome Microprose Soccer, another game very very far ahead of its time.

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #14 of 15
C64 ?
I was not in that financial league at the time...but I did have (well still have ) a VIC20 with the Datasette. I don't even want to add up all the time I "spent" waiting for the program tapes to load...
Sigh...the Old Days...
wink.gif
I'm glad some still remember.

Emulators for almost all the old systems exist, plus you can find ROMS on Emux, Just make sure you own the original cart/disk before downloading ROMs...
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 15
C64...ah yes..what memories....

Wizball, Elite (what a game!), Last Ninja, Rescue On Fractalus, a time machine game (can't remember the name for the life of me but it was awesome. Simple but awesome), The Sentinel, Sensible Soccer and lots more.

The C64 was also me very first PC and I actually programmed the damn thing in Basic. I wouldn't be in the IT line if not for that old little bugger. Literally gave me my calling in life (or is that job?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back