Favorite Bruckner Recordings
Feb 19, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #151 of 554
Great conductors of 20th Century Series by EMI
There are some very good sets in this series which are 2CD each with remastered sound selling for budget price level. Two of the series feature much sought after Bruckner 8th performances, one I want to share with you is the Carl Schuricht set (other 8th is in the Bohm set):
B00005V33O.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

On 2nd CD we have the much sought after 8th with VPO done in 1963, stereo sound has been remastered for this release. Other performances on 1st CD are both stereo and mono performances, includes stereo Schubert 8th and Beethoven 1st symphonies.
Previously Bruckner 8th was released with 9th on EMI (very hard to find now):
B000002SBO.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Anyway this 8th is a performance of real stature, uses a slightly modified Haas editon, and provides a more rugged picture than Karajan's final version also with same VPO. All the elements of greatness are here: clarity of structure in the build up of the massive cathedrals of sound, very prominent brass section which would make Solti smile, explosive power that renders mere mortals helpless, and the necessary spiritual reverance and introspection. Timing for this 8th puts it as fastest I have heard, even if subjectively doesn't seem as fast as Barbirolli while being played:

Schuricht - 71:23 (1963)
Barbirolli - 73:58 (1970)
Boulez - 75:58 (1996)
Horenstein - 76:02 (1970)
Jochum - 76:04 (1976)
Maazel - 79:32 (1990)
Karajan - 82:49 (1988)
Harnoncourt - 83:00 (2001)
Wand - 87:07 (2001)
Giulini - 87:36 (1985)
Tintner - 89:28 (1996)
Celibidache - 107 (EMI version, slowest ever recorded???)

Check out the comments at Amazon for more details, packaging is very nice with slipcover and detailed booklet, people like Dshea know they must own this at all costs:
Shuricht

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #152 of 554
Wow, look at the difference between Shuricht and Titner, quite a bit. Those Great Conductors CDs are supposed to be a great way to get your hands out of long out of print material, and if I am not mistaken, some that has never seen CD in any form.

Feb 19, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #153 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Previously this 8th was released with 9th on EMI (very hard to find now):
B000002SBO.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I picked this one up some years ago, and it's very fine. Also, Schuricht's 1965 EMI recording of the 3rd is available on Preiser. this one is also worth getting.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #154 of 554
Hmm, I don't own a 3rd. I will have to get the 8th as well, especially since I do own Solit's 8th as well as Karajan. Dammit people, can't this wait until the end of the month when I get paid?!!

Man I love this.

dshea

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #155 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
Hmm, I don't own a 3rd. I will have to get the 8th as well, especially since I do own Solit's 8th as well as Karajan. Dammit people, can't this wait until the end of the month when I get paid?!!

Man I love this.

dshea

*gets Team Ramen Noodle membership forms ready*

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #156 of 554
I have in my posession the live stereo Bohm 8th:

B0000AKPI7.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Also contains Schubert 9th that is supposed to be very good, new CD stack is still tall......plus am still conteplating what is the greatest Tchaikovsky 6th I have heard from another thread.

Feb 23, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #157 of 554
Quote:

Also contains Schubert 9th that is supposed to be very good, new CD stack is still tall......plus am still conteplating what is the greatest Tchaikovsky 6th I have heard from another thread.

I am so confused about the Schubert numbering, but if I recall correctly, the Schubert 9th is now the 8th? Is it the D.944 (Grosse or Great) to which you refer?

Feb 23, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #158 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
I am so confused about the Schubert numbering, but if I recall correctly, the Schubert 9th is now the 8th? Is it the D.944 (Grosse or Great) to which you refer?

Yes talking about "great" symphony.......always referred to as 9th everywhere I look.
The unusual part of all Schubert symphony sets is there is no 7th, and 8th only contains 1st two movements therefore called "unfinished" symphony.

Feb 23, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #159 of 554
Looks like you have quite a selction of Bruckner 9's now DA.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Feb 23, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #160 of 554
I have to give a 2nd to the Schuricht rec - of the "swift" bruckner performances, it is one of the best.

Feb 24, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #161 of 554
Quote:

Yes talking about "great" symphony.......always referred to as 9th everywhere I look.
The unusual part of all Schubert symphony sets is there is no 7th, and 8th only contains 1st two movements therefore called "unfinished" symphony.

AFAIK, in the past 'Grand Duo' sonata D812 was considered an unorchestraed sketch for a symphony and called as 'Symphony No.7'. Joseph Joachim's orchestration is played by orchestras, Abbado/COE set contains it. IMO the work deserves an attention, as well as original piano duo version (I have Barenboim/Lupu). So 'Great' is sometimes No.8 (excluding "No.7") and sometimes No.7 (even excluding "unfinished").

Feb 24, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #162 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
I have to give a 2nd to the Schuricht rec - of the "swift" bruckner performances, it is one of the best.

The Schuricht are great "straight" performances: good for learning the symphonies and forming comparisons with other conductors.

I find myself always returning to the vinyl of the Schuricht/VPO 9th on EMI.
k1000smile.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #163 of 554
daycart1 wrote (not recently): Quote:

"No doubt, but I have been meaning for some time to check out one of the completions anyway. I believe it has been recorded twice. Anyone?"

Kurt Eichhorn with the Bruckner Orchester Linz put out a 2 Disc ninth with
the 'Finished' Movement on Camerata. It is DDD and a very nice recording.
The fourth movement doesn't work for me tho, it just isn't "Bruckner".

This group also put out a double CD with two versions of the second. Again
excellent recording. I am not a good judge of which version is best. I have at
least 3 versions of each 1-9, not including 3 complete sets and I haven't heard one I don't like yet.
tongue.gif

But I do probably listen to Wands 6th (RCA/Cologne RSO) more than any other.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #164 of 554
Quote:

Just listened to Bohm Bruckner 8th, live studio recording from 1974 and it is just fantastic perfromance in all respects, absolutely essential for Tyson, Dshea etc to obtain this ASAP. Sound is very detailed and brightly lit like a DG Originals recording, the dynamic range is massive and Bohm has a fire and intensity here I have never seen him display before. His highly rated B4 was a disappointment for me since I have many other versions that would easily rank ahead of it, this 8th however is completely different league for Bohm as Bruckner conductor......lets check the run time:

Schuricht - 71:23 (1963)
Bohm - 73:25 (1974)
Barbirolli - 73:58 (1970)
Boulez - 75:58 (1996)
Horenstein - 76:02 (1970)
Jochum - 76:04 (1976)
Maazel - 79:32 (1990)
Karajan - 82:49 (1988)
Harnoncourt - 83:00 (2001)
Wand - 87:07 (2001)
Giulini - 87:36 (1985)
Tintner - 89:28 (1996)
Celibidache - 107 (EMI version, slowest ever recorded???)

Surprising that this ranks as one of the fastest B8s, but again like the Schuricht all the elements of greatness are here. If I can compare to existing references the Bohm is similar in style to Karajan/VPO although more energized like HVK had some expresso before recording, contrasts are sharper and tempos are acellerated.....but similar sounding overall, there is a certain epic vison/structure they both attain. Bohm brings the brass forward more than HVK, making the ride more thrilling. I have to admit that here Bohm may top HVK at his own game, even if HVK has better musicians and modern sound......this may be perfect version for Tyson.

The Schuricht is more similar to Horenstein with more turbulance ,bombast, and high voltage excitement that some might think too excessive, but in reality it is under control and very exciting and profoundly moving......these are men of bold vision and conviction reaching out to touch the creator

There is a famous live Schubert 9th included in Bohm set, but a bit too expansive in 1st two movements for my taste, last two movements all is well.....similar style but done better would be live Wand/RCA. My references for Schubert 9th are Abbado/DG, Solti/VPO/Decca Legends, and Wand/RCA

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #165 of 554
I think it was a great idea to put these hard-to-find pieces in the "Great Conductor" series, including a lot of work that has never seen CD before. I may have to seek some of these out. More and more I have found I can 'endure' a mono recording if the perforamnce is top notch,though it does make you wish you could travel time and re-record some of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back