favorite bach solo violin recording
Jul 2, 2003 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mickelae

New Head-Fier
even though it was a little bit overly romantic, i used to really like perlmans recording because of the fullness of his sound. i recently picked up grumiaux recording on philips and really enjoy his interpretation. its a little more dry than perlmans, but probably more true to bach, and his tone is amazing. so for now, my vote is more grumiaux.

Jul 2, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 22
right now I like Rachel Podger complete sonatas and partitas on channel classics. she plays on a period violin and sounds excellent.

but thats just kind of the flavor of the month. there are so many good recordings.

MJ

Jul 2, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 22
Yup, there're so many of them.... But I agree that Grumiaux is near the top.
smily_headphones1.gif

Recently I've been listening to Hilary Hahn's (because I just bought it
smily_headphones1.gif
), it's actually not bad.
600smile.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 22
I second Hilary Hahn. The recording itself is excellent! Her tone and interpretation are quite good also. I think she really gets the music. Perlman, on the other hand, is too romantic for me. Milstein, mmmm....I really try to like him but I think he is only ok (wonderful skill, but doesn't touch me) I also have Mintz version but haven't find the time to listen to it.

Jul 2, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 22
I only have the Perlman set, but I can't
fault it.

I do have an interesting cd. I'ts
Christoph Poppen and the Hilliard Ensemble. BWV 1004 is played on
a baroque violin. Between the movements
are various Chorale's, very nice.
There is also a version of the Ciaccona
scored for baroque violin and four voices.

Jul 3, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 22
I'll say Hilary Hahn, because I haven't heard any else
tongue.gif
. I really find it quite enjoyable, plus its a pretty complete collection of some of Bach's violin solos.

Jul 3, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 22
Tough call! Heifetz didn't record so much solo Bach afaik, but his D min Partita (with famous Chaconne) is superb.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 22
Although I adore Grumiaux, his S&P for Solo Violin did nothing for me -- too polite and too rounded. I'd prefer something more passionate. Grumiaux's interpretation of Bach's Sonatas for Violin and Harpsicord (BWV1014-23), however, is extremely enjoyable. Borrowed Hahn's recording from the library and I like it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back