Favorite Artist or Work of Art?
Jan 18, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #61 of 90
What I got out of art school is a few things, but they are important aspects of what it means to be an artist and the ongoing discussion of art itself:

1) To disregard any other opinion about your work is pure folly. It's not because it's true, or the commentary seems to degrade the work on a rudimentary level, but it is still valid. I was once told by one of my professors that once a work of art enters the public sphere, it's place in the world is forever influenced by the public's perception, much greater than yours alone.

2) What is good/bad art may essentially be the root question of art, but eventually you have to question the very definition of art, which is IMO, impossible. It's ludicrous to determine a work's value in terms of personal taste.

3) The connection between the idea and the work is always the greatest difficulty for the artist to overcome, and perhaps few have. Can an object encompass the idea in its' entirety? And from this predicament, can a work ever be finished, not just in its' physical completion, but also as a reference to the discussion of art? Simply, no.

4) There is nothing wrong about promoting and selling your work for sole profit. It maybe shallow and unjustified, but if you plan to thrive and make a financially successful career out of it, you better know who's willing to sell it for you and willing to buy it from you. The life of an artist can be brutal, often unsettling and unsatisfying, especially for those wanting the glory of being the next wunderkind who has frequent one-man shows, sells works to the highest and most prominent figures, and is frequently discussed among critics and other artists. Perhaps the high price of high art is the real payoff, but the process of forming the idea and then execution, IMO, is much more priceless.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #63 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting to see so many modern-art fans...

Right. Perheps admirers of Italian and Dutch masters would like to do a show and tell?

I'd love to point to some great Chinese painting, but the Internet in Taiwan is still quite dead.

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #65 of 90
love giorgione's "la tempesta"

vermeer is fantastic...

and i was blown away by the egon schiele exhibit at the leopold museum in vienna a couple of years ago...truly amazing stuff.

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #67 of 90
Derek Hess....
pigscanshinewg3.jpg
dhess5ql9.jpg

Rockin Jelly Bean...
rockinjellybeanfz9.jpg
sapphireof4.jpg

Robert Crumb...
fritz645gf5.jpg

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #68 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right. Perheps admirers of Italian and Dutch masters would like to do a show and tell?

Perhaps not? I'll play again. The Baroques always fascinated me. And what mention of Baroque is complete without the great Caravaggio?

crucifictionofpeter.jpg

Crucifixion of St. Peter

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #69 of 90
Favorite artist: Dali

Jan 19, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #70 of 90
Edward Hopper - Nighthawks.
Yep, one of my personal favourites along with "Gas".

hopper.gas.jpg

Another fav artist of mine has to be Ralph Steadman, i'm saving up for this one at the moment, a classic illustration pic from "fear and loathing - hunter s thomson (rip dr gonzo)".
01savagej-clr.jpg

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #75 of 90
Chiura Obata:
3154201312840068.jpg

chiura_obata4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back