Favorite album of 1977
Feb 5, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #16 of 30
I chose Lynyrd Skynrd's Street Survivors.
I hadn't heard any Skynyrd in more than 20 years and frankly turned my back on 'classic rock' with the arrival of the 80s. I bought Second Helping for $6 (Canadian!) and in addition to liking the music was knocked out by the mastering (the version with bonus tracks). Doug Schwartz is the man!
I went back out and got Nuthin' Fancy, Gimme Back My Bullets and Street Survivors (I've had to order Pronounced and the Deluxe version of One More For The Road).
Nuthin' Fancy and Gimme Back My Bullets struck me as quite shyte. Shoddy, slap dash writing. But the follow up Street Survivors is remarkable. It's hard to believe this is the same band. Astonishing.

Audio restoration, assembly and digital mastering from the original stereo master tapes by Doug Schwartz, Mulholland Music, Los Angeles, CA.
cool.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 30
I was thinking back to 1977. I voted for Hotel California because at that time it was my favorite of those that I heard at that time.
Of course now I would say Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell. That album has held up better over time than Hotel California.

Feb 6, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

markl said...

God this poll is depressing.
frown.gif
Imagine trying to cobble together a similar poll for 2004 in 25 years time... Do you think it would be cram-packed with so many obvious stone-cold classics? I think not...

Geez, that really is a depressing thought.

I vote for Hotel California, out of what I've heard.

Feb 6, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #19 of 30
David Bowie - Low best album.

Sex Pistols had the most influence of any single album on that list.

Bee Gees 'Saturday Night Fever' soundtrack biggest guilty pleasure on the list.

Hotel California most over played of the whole list. Pretty much burned the damn title tracked into the heads of 2 generations of rockers, I would say. I mean, Christ, is there anyone over say 30 that can't sing every word to that song when it comes on the radio?

Feb 6, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #20 of 30
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express.

EVERYTHING electronic owes a debt to this one album... that and Donna Summer/Giorgio Moroder's single "I Feel Love."

Feb 7, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #23 of 30
Marquee Moon - love the guitar work

Cheap Trick and Suicide's first album are another couple of favourites.

I'm Stranded by the Saints is also a classic, especially the blazing title track (and the rest of the album is pretty damn good too).

Feb 7, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #24 of 30
I agree with Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood being the best from '77. Out of the ones in the poll though I'd have to say Bat out of Hell closely followed by Rumours.

But there was so much good music that came out in '77 that it's hard to choose. It's depressing to compare that list to a similar one from 2004.

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #25 of 30
I am going with Pink Floyd's "Animals", but only because of the incredible invention of their songs. They are really perfecltly-crafted songs, put into a meaningful collection of songs against the corruption and evil of the media.

Other great contenders there, but just not as worthy by a margin, were Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours", Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell", The Eagles's "Hotel California", and David Bowie's "Low".

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #28 of 30
This poll was a little scary! I have all of those albums except two:
Saturday Night Fever (but my wife has it),
and Television.

Also have Blondie, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, most of the Ramones, all early Heads. And one of my all-time favorites: The Flying Lizards (white convertible
biggrin.gif
). Yikes, I feel like someone is doing a vivisection on me. My tastes have evolved over the years, but I do still love all of that.

I could count the albums I truly enjoy from last year on one hand, sadly.

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #29 of 30
wow... what a great poll.
except i don't know what to vote for!

depending on my mood:

television - marquee moon
the clash - the clash
elvis costello - my aim is true

it's a good thing '77 was the only year of the decade that zappa didn't release anything, or it'd be an even tougher choice.

Feb 14, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJackSkanz
For me "Animals" was the best Pink Floyd album next to...(ducking rock)...The Final Cut.

*throws rock* you go backwards in time with Floyd not forwards from the peak although I haven't given The Final Cut a good listen yet so *rock turns out to be water balloon*
tongue.gif

Floyd's "Animals" although having several years till I'd be born doesn't help that I haven't listened to all of most of the list, but wow it is a good year.

and I don't know what you guys are talking about!

I mean 2004 has
Beyonce
Nelly
Hoobastank
Maroon 5
Modest Mouse
Jessica Simpson

what a collection of amazing artists!

*groans and goes back to his Floyd and John Lee Hooker*
280smile.gif

edit: man I can't spell!

Users who are viewing this thread