Favorite 580 Amps . . .
Mar 19, 2006 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jordanr

100+ Head-Fier
So, what've been your favorite HD580 / amp combinations and why?

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 14
I really liked my HD580's with my old maxed out PPA. It made me think, "What veil?!"

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 14
Using my 580s with a Headroom Desktop (desktop amp/dac). I like the brightness adjustments, and the crossfeed for some older classical.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 14
Hmmm...lots of replies but none on the Corda Aria. Thus, I'm putting my vote in for the Corda Aria. However, I haven't head lots of other amps except the PA2V2 and of course, the Aria blows the PA2V2 out of the water. However, how good is the Aria against say like a M3 or a PPA, I have no idea.

However, that said, I do like the transparency of the HD580 paired with the Aria..

It is SO real that it sounded like guitars are being played right there in the room..

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 14
the price amp is way over hd 580 itself..
I check the Corda Aria ..over $350,
Headroom Desktop ..over $200
SR71 over $300
neilpearts M^3, not found.. but it sounds very expensive too..
very_evil_smiley.gif

only Pa2v2 is my range in <$70.. could some one recommend some amp in below 100 range..
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for all the suggestions and caveats. Unfortunately, it didn't make my choice any easier. I was hoping everyone would respond with some degree of uniformity. I guess that's probably an unrealistic expectation in light of the subjectivity inherent in high-end audio preferences.

I'm using the Pocket Amp right now, and the difference and improvement I've experienced relative to my old SR-80s has been astounding. I know there's more to these headphones, though.

Keep the suggestions coming. If it makes any difference, I was also hoping not to spend much more than I spent on the phones themselves.

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 14
Jordon, Everytime someone asks for a particular amp for a certain type of phone, everyone just responds with the amp that they have. There really is no particular amp that is made for the HD580. If you had asked what people's favorite amps are for a Grado, you would get some of the same amps. You really can't go wrong with any of the amps mentioned. If you don't want to spend that much, I would look into a used Go Vibe or a PIMETA.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Another possibility, although I CANNOT directly recommend it as I HAVE NOT HEARD it.

However, if you are looking at spending around the price of your headphones, look into the Firestone amps:
- Cute Beyond

Apparently, the Cute Beyond has been voiced for the HD600 (shares the same drivers as the HD580). I have heard other people say good things about these amps and they cost about the same price as the phones.

ps - Firestone is one of head-fi's sponsors as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back