Fatiguing mids?
Jan 20, 2007 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tuhnu

100+ Head-Fier
I like my AKG K601 very much but I seem to get listening fatigue really fast with it, and my ears ring occasionally. I listen to low volumes.

I don't seem to have problem with highs but more with mids. I played my digital piano just today without headphones, with low volume. I couldn't play very long because I felt that annoying vibration in my ears. What's going on?
frown.gif

I did not have this problem before with my lower end headphones. I had no DAC, amp or anything. Too much detail?

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 6
i think you're experiencing exactly what fatigue is all about, it's really mainly in the high mids that the human ear is most sensitive to fatigue. tho it is bass frequencies that are the most damaging. also, the volume is subjective, and as time progresses your tolerance to volume changes. if you listen to headphones alot, you will develop higher tolerance to high volume and what was a moderate volume 1 year ago is now kind of soft so you might tend to turn it up a notch. headphones listening is really a drug and it's addictive
evil_smiley.gif
the FDA should ban this sort of recreation hahahah! pros suggest listening to headphones at intervals of 1 hour each time and a 15-30 minutes rest in between. don't want tinnitus.

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 6
I was gonna say it might be due to lack of burn-in, but you are getting ears vibrating cause of playing digital piano separately? You should not listen to music or play for about 3-4 days and see how it is after that (the piano, the headphones wait). If the problem persists, visit a doctor, if not, try the phones again.

Edit: also check the EQ on your source, you might have boosted the mids.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 6
The EQ is flat. The K601 has about 60 hours of burn-in. I'm getting the vibration playing the piano separately, this has not happened ever before. I'll try not to listen to music couple of days. I have an appointment with a nurse on Monday to remove excessive wax, it tends to build up fast.

Thanks for your advice.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 6
My love for the 701's stem from it being so unfatiguing. I did experience fatigue during initial burn-in. To the point where I was temped to throw them away. But boy am I glad I didn't they're as lush and smooth as can be now, with 0 fatigue. This fatigue you experiencing will go away, don't worry about. Just blast them for a few days straight, afterwards it should be gone.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 6
To me, the K601's were fatiguing in the mids, as they were lacking in bass and treble extension. I ran them in for 120 hours hoping they would bloom, and they didn't, so I sold them. They weren't my cup of tea. Maybe they aren't yours either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back