Fathom from Campfire Audio - Official Thread
Mar 8, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #46 of 65
First listen, and first CA IEM, quite nice and liking the tuning. They sure are sensitive to amp hiss. I take it, much the same as Andromeda, and that this is the lowest impedance IEM I have ever listened to myself. Substantial hiss on Mojo 2, RS6 (lesser), and C9 (fed by Mojo 2 or RS6). Basically fixed by an IEmatch without much impact to dynamics (very slightly noticeable if I A/B) or FR to my ears. Just need to get a 3.5 IEmatch in for 1 less adapter with the Mojo. It's interesting how much a difference from 16ohms and high sensitivity of a Zen Pro to 12ohms and lower sensitivity of the Fathom leads to such a difference in the perceived noise floor. As well as how that seems to be inherent to CA's all BA designs.

It's sticking around for now. Just wanted to put that out there in case someone was curious if that was different.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #47 of 65
Our review of the Fathom is now published with comparisons to the Andromeda 2020, Ara, and 64 Audio's U6t.

https://headfonics.com/campfire-audio-fathom-review/

1709974987709.png

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #49 of 65
Most of our listening samples are all packed up for NY so A/B-ing is tricky right now haha. I'll have some time next week to do some more thorough comparing and share any notes I have with folks.

I'm sure a bunch of impressions will be coming out from those who try stuff out over the weekend too! A couple more writeups coming soon from other outlets as well.

Hi Chris,

Any chance you got to A/B the Black Star and Fathom?

I’m still in-between them 😊

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #50 of 65
Hi Chris,

Any chance you got to A/B the Black Star and Fathom?

I’m still in-between them 😊

Thanks!

Was able to do some brief A/B-ing today. BlackStar has more bass texture and rumble, unsurprisingly, with more physicality. BlackStar's presentation has more coloration overall. It's high peaks feel a bit sharper, but Fathom has more top-end air and extends further. Fathom is no slouch in bass presentation, especially for a balanced armature. Certainly not a big bassy sound, really nice accuracy and overall presence. Fathom feels a little more even-handed from low through the highs, closer to neutral, though not a reference earphone.

Where Fathom really stands out is the vocal performance for me, which is funny bc I really enjoy BlackStar's vocal performance, but side by side with Fathom, Fathom really shines. The dual mid driver in these creates great richness and detail to the vocals, they're super smooth and articulate. The vocals on Fathom are just superb.

Fathom definitely feels faster/tighter, esp with percussion (again the DD vs BA dynamic showing here). A good amount of overlap between these models as well, great detail and imaging, soundstage, etc. can be found in both models.

Here is a visual aid for how I conceptualize these two haha:

reference/analytical-> |----F----------midpoint--BS------------| <-- emotional/color

Of course this is not a scientific or perfect representation :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 19, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #51 of 65
Thanks for the A/B with Blackstar!

Any chance you could do one for Ponderosa as well? :)

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #52 of 65
Was able to do some brief A/B-ing today. BlackStar has more bass texture and rumble, unsurprisingly, with more physicality. BlackStar's presentation has more coloration overall. It's high peaks feel a bit sharper, but Fathom has more top-end air and extends further. Fathom is no slouch in bass presentation, especially for a balanced armature. Certainly not a big bassy sound, really nice accuracy and overall presence. Fathom feels a little more even-handed from low through the highs, closer to neutral, though not a reference earphone.

Where Fathom really stands out is the vocal performance for me, which is funny bc I really enjoy BlackStar's vocal performance, but side by side with Fathom, Fathom really shines. The dual mid driver in these creates great richness and detail to the vocals, they're super smooth and articulate. The vocals on Fathom are just superb.

Fathom definitely feels faster/tighter, esp with percussion (again the DD vs BA dynamic showing here). A good amount of overlap between these models as well, great detail and imaging, soundstage, etc. can be found in both models.

reference/analytical-> |----F----------midpoint--BS------------| <-- emotional/color

Very useful, thanks a lot!!!

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #53 of 65
After trying the Fathoms at CanJam, I got my own set delivered yesterday.

Unfortunately, they’re so sensitive that there’s a hiss with everything I’ve tried them on. The hiss is noticeable through the iPhone dongle, and (surprisingly) obvious through the A&K KANN Ultra.

The hiss is significant enough that I can hear it as a “floor” throughout the entire track (not just during quiet parts). Super disappointing because I really like the tuning.

FWIW - the great guys at Bloom Audio also tested on an SP3000, and they said there’s hiss with that too.

I’m at a bit of a loss on how someone is supposed to use these IEMs. I would have thought / hoped that a TOTL DAP like the SP3000 would be clean.

Does anyone have ideas on sources that wouldn’t have a hiss? It’s really a bummer - the poor guys at Bloom are going to have to deal with my return and I’m out $100 bucks for restocking fee. Want to love these things - appreciate any ideas!

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #54 of 65

Unfortunately, they’re so sensitive that there’s a hiss with everything I’ve tried them on. The hiss is noticeable through the iPhone dongle, and (surprisingly) obvious through the A&K KANN Ultra.

The hiss is significant enough that I can hear it as a “floor” throughout the entire track (not just during quiet parts). Super disappointing because I really like the tuning.

FWIW - the great guys at Bloom Audio also tested on an SP3000, and they said there’s hiss with that too.

I’m at a bit of a loss on how someone is supposed to use these IEMs. I would have thought / hoped that a TOTL DAP like the SP3000 would be clean.

Does anyone have ideas on sources that wouldn’t have a hiss? It’s really a bummer - the poor guys at Bloom are going to have to deal with my return and I’m out $100 bucks for restocking fee. Want to love these things - appreciate any ideas!
You can try the ifi iematch pigtail. I have used that with good results for sensitive iems

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #55 of 65

2nd the iematch on the high setting. The slightly higher output impedance does the Fathom all sorts of favors as well as solving the hiss. Bloom carries them.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #56 of 65
Thanks guys. I’m not in love with needing to add another dongle to the chain just to get these IEMs to be useable, but appreciate that it’s an option. I’ve been contemplating the DC Elite - if I can find some way to confirm that it has no hiss, then maybe I’ll go with that.

Honest question: What native sources would not have a hiss with the Fathoms? I’m genuinely curious. From a product development perspective, it’s just breaking my brain to think they CFA has knowingly created a product that requires an additional dongle to work with, what I would think to be, a pretty common use case. I assume I’m just missing something…

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #57 of 65
Thanks guys. I’m not in love with needing to add another dongle to the chain just to get these IEMs to be useable, but appreciate that it’s an option. I’ve been contemplating the DC Elite - if I can find some way to confirm that it has no hiss, then maybe I’ll go with that.

Honest question: What native sources would not have a hiss with the Fathoms? I’m genuinely curious. From a product development perspective, it’s just breaking my brain to think they CFA has knowingly created a product that requires an additional dongle to work with, what I would think to be, a pretty common use case. I assume I’m just missing something…
My Lotoo PAW S1 was quiet with them, but for what I have, that was the only one that was completely hiss free (I tried all the other sources in my sig). I'm on the same train of not wanting an extra thing dangling off and, pulling on the strain reliefs, and knocking about when it's in my pocket. But then I heard what the iematch did to the Fathom's tuning, and I ended up deciding it was worth it. In the high setting, it seems to double down on the already awesome vocal presentation, and makes it even better. I ended up using some Velcro cut to length tape to affix the rematch to the side of my Mojo2 to keeping it from knocking about. Something like this: https://amzn.to/49aIjEu

IMG_1537.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #58 of 65

Like this graph. What do you think is the most reference/analytical iem CA has made? Looking for something for professional use.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #60 of 65
Like this graph. What do you think is the most reference/analytical iem CA has made? Looking for something for professional use.
I think that Holocene would be a great choice for this, probably our most neutral IEM. Next up would likely be Andromeda 2019 & earlier, then Andromeda 2020 and Ponderosa.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back